Boys golf team ready to defend state title

Spring sports kicks off once again this week and the boys golf team is running hot. Coming off their seventh state championship last year, the Warriors are hoping to make this season just as special as the last. This season they will be led by senior Jackson Benge and junior Trevor Gutschewski. Head coach Jered Hellman will be back in the captain’s chair this year, hoping to redo what he was able to do last year in his first year.. There are several returning players and also a couple new faces, who will be circulating around the varsity playing field. Freshmen Tye Treadwell and Knox Pocras hope to make an impact in their first year on the high school circuit. As well as returning juniors Chris Whittle and Leo Kroeger. 

Last year the Warriors finished first in the state and four strokes under par as a team. Being led by current UNO freshman Porter Topp who shot a 138 in the tournament. Topp will undoubtedly be a huge loss this season, but coach Hellman thinks that they will still be able to succeed with all of their new and returning talent. 

“I get excited about all of it,” Hellman said. “Practice, tournaments, team meetings, team dinner, playing in miserable weather, it’s all exciting.  On paper we have the most talented Varsity team in our storied history and our JV team will be the most talented we have had and will compete for invitational titles. This is really exciting as we have worked really hard to get the program to this level. Our goal is to stay on top and we realize that staying on top in sports is one of the hardest things to accomplish.  Hard Work and determination will lead us there.” 

Some of the biggest parts from last season were performances from Gutschewski and Benge. Both of these players are committed to play golf at NCAA Division I universities and will undoubtedly be a vital part of the team this season. 

“I really enjoyed playing with all those guys last year,” Gutschewski said. “I think we all learn alot from each other and have a very tight bond. It helps to have that bond when one needs some encouragement or help. Overall just really looking forward to trying to bring home another state championship.”

There is always room for improvement. Gutschewski also spoke on what he felt was necessary to try and ensure his team is able to bring home another state championship. 

“Practicing everyday and trying to stay consistent will be huge for us,” Gutschewski said. “Holding everyone accountable and making sure we are all on the same page will be huge for us. Also working on fundamentals and trying to get a little better each day.”

In the offseason coach Hellman has also been putting in the extra work to try and further elevate his team and their success. He believes this will put them in the best possible position this season. 

“I attended the National High School Golf Coaches Convention in Orlando, Florida in February,” Hellman said. “I took many drills and practice ideas that we will implement this season.

Freshman Knox Pocras has been around the circuit and involved in the sport for almost all of his life. Already he feels he has a great bond with his new teammates. 

“Some of the older guys have done a good job to make me feel welcome,” Pocras said. “This season I think that will improve my confidence and make for a great year of improvement.” 

Moving forward, coach Hellman looks to the past to see the best route to take this season. Finding out what will be important to keep from last year’s successful season will be vital if the Warriors want to take their team back to state. 

“Last season was historic” said Hellman “We were able to create a very close bond together, we also made practices very competitive and those are things we will continue to do.  We will also continue to focus on playing for more than ourselves.”

Westside opened the season Friday in a quadrangular meet between Creighton Prep, Lincoln Southeast and Millard North at the Johnny Goodman Golf Course.