The best TV shows of 2023

Taryn Atwater
A look back at the best TV shows of 2023. Images courtesy of Max and Hulu.

1. “Succession” (Season 4)

After its third season released and swept during the 2023 awards season, the fourth and final season of HBO’s “Succession” didn’t seem like it could top itself, but spoiler: it did. Once again following the ever changing dynamics and remarkable wrongdoings of the Roy family, “Succession” season four delivers some of its hardest hitting moments in all of its run. The show’s motifs are kept consistent with all the previous seasons; betrayal, love and despicable, pathetic characters. With standout performances from leads Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook and Kieran Culkin, the final season of “Succession” does (or, at least, tries to do) what seemed impossible from the very first episode: redeem the Roys.

2. “The Bear” (Season 2)

Image courtesy of Hulu.

Season one of Hulu’s “The Bear” was panic-attack-inducing at the minimum. Season two, however, while still sprinkled with moments of sheer anxiety, was undeniably more relaxed. The latest season, which follows the employees of The Original Beef as they overhaul their hole-in-the-wall restaurant into a fine dining establishment, features several notable guest stars such as Olivia Colman, Bob Odenkirk and Will Poulter. The soundtrack is fiery, the shots are beautiful and the characters are wonderfully written, but that’s nothing new for “The Bear”. The highs are incredibly high, and the lows? They’re still high. 

3. “Barry” (Season 4)

Image courtesy of Max.

Viewers of HBO’s “Barry” may have wondered how the final season could possibly be any crazier than the previous ones- they were not disappointed. Creator and star Bill Hader made the final season of “Barry” darker and grittier than ever before, but somehow managed to pepper in several laugh out loud moments. From the ridiculousness of Noho Hank to the fear inducing titular character, Barry Berkman, “Barry” makes for a rollercoaster of a viewing experience. Although the season has its flaws, specifically the finale of the entire series ending with a time-skip, the show’s last laugh is at Berkman’s expense, which is nothing if not deserved. 

4. “The Righteous Gemstones” (Season 3)

Image courtesy of Max.

One of the most underrated shows of the 2020s, “The Righteous Gemstones” is one of HBO’s current finest. While often compared to another HBO original featured on this list, the much darker “Succession”, “The Righteous Gemstones” is much more jolly. The series, which follows the Gemstone family as they navigate owning a wildly successful megachurch, contains monster trucks, stuntmen and guest appearances from Steve Zahn and Sturgill Simpson. What more could an audience ask for? While “The Righteous Gemstones” often goes overboard, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, the brief moments of peace and unity in the Gemstone family make all the flashiness well worth it. 

5. “The Last of Us” (Season 1)

Image courtesy of Max.

There’s a reason why “The Last of Us” is one of the most critically acclaimed video games of all time. The wildly engaging plot combined with the themes of love and family make for an enthralling experience. The HBO adaptation of the game is no different. “The Last of Us” season one intertwines plots from several characters, many of which are strikingly written, giving audiences a reason to care about and latch onto each and every character in the show, no matter how limited their screen time is. Stars Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey deliver striking performances that leave viewers pining for more. “The Last of Us” is one of the best video game to cinematic adaptations yet, and it’s only had one season.