Boys soccer team punches their ticket to state

Alayna Vaughn

The Westside boys soccer teams defeated Lincoln Southeast 4-2 in the A-3 District finals on Wednesday. They will play at state on Tuesday as the number three seed. Westside senior Peter Wanjohi scored a hat-trick with three goals in the match. He shared what the night meant for him and how it feels going into state as a district champion.

“It meant a lot, this is our last game on this field, my last game on this field, so we just had to leave it all on there,” Wanjohi said. “Going into state as a district champion means everything, we have worked so hard to get to this point.”

Senior Luke Noameshie has been playing well throughout the season. He explained what the team’s chances are at state.

“We are going at a three seed, so we think we have a pretty good chance at winning,” Noameshie said. “There are a lot of competitive teams on the other side so we have a pretty easy path there. so we just have to execute and hopefully we can make it all the way and raise the trophy we think we deserve.”

The match went back and forth during the entire match. Coach Dean had a major emphasis on the free kicks during the match.

“Lincoln Southeast were very good, they possessed well and it looked like they changed a few things that we prepared for,” head coach Mike Dean said. “Free kicks were a big deal for today with a couple corners and a free kick outside the 18, it was a tough one but I’m glad we came out on top.”

Wanjohi also talked about his goals that he scored in the match. He shared what he was thinking after he scored his first one and his thoughts after getting a third goal.

“Our last game I missed a lot of opportunities and before the game today I was thinking why can’t I get three,” Wanjohi said. “After my first goal I thought that we had to keep going and after the third I was really happy but still we have to get going.”

Winning the game with a hat trick. Dean explained how special it is for Wanjohi.

“It’s a big deal, it was one of our goals to be undefeated and district champs and we have a 9-0 home field record which is what we wanted and we want this to be a fortress to the warriors,” Dean said. “When people come here it is going to be tough, but on his senior night I can’t think of a better way to end this.”

Dean also shared what he thinks the chances are at state.

“I like our chances, but again when you get to Morrison stadium a lot of factors come in,” Dean said. “Kids can get nervous and some kids can thrive but I like our chances and in every game and day we get better.”