Senior ranked as one of top goalies in Nebraska

Alayna Vaughn

Westside girls soccer player Maia Jaroch is a senior on the girls soccer team. Starting for varsity, Jaroch is ranked as one of the top goalies in the state and is making big impacts on the field. The goalie will be attending Buena Vista University in Storm Lake, Iowa next year to study biomedical sciences along with continuing her soccer and music careers.

With Jaroch being back in the goal, she is able to see the whole field which helps her as a player and her team.

“I am able to get a read on the situations that are unfolding, sometimes even before they happen,” Jaroch said.

“I also don’t have to worry about running or movement as much as other positions, so I am able to direct that focus towards what is going on around me.”

Soccer is a very competitive sport. Jaroch’s desire to win each game drives her to be the best player she can be during games.

“The thing that drives my competitive side in soccer is the excitement of winning.” Jaroch said. “Winning is also a lot of fun, and having fun is great.”

Along with winning, the seniors favorite part of soccer is the feeling after making a big save. 

“My favorite part of soccer is definitely the rush I get after I make a big save,” Jaroch said. “Nothing else I have ever experienced has come close to beating that feeling.”

Since Jaroch can see the whole field, she has an advantage over everyone and can see opportunities that her teammates have.

“Being able to see the whole field definitely helps me to direct my team,” Jaroch said. “This extra knowledge helps me point out dangers and opportunities to my team that they may not have seen.”

The 7-4 Warriors will host Elkhorn South Friday at 7 p.m.