Girls tennis rebounds with win against Bellevue West

Kayira Donatho

The girls tennis team played in two tournaments this past week. They played against Bellevue West and Millard North. The team lost against Millard North 2-7, but came back and beat Bellevue West 8-1, with bigger tournaments ahead the team keeps their head up. The head coach of the team, Bart Jeseritz, is excited for the upcoming tournaments such as the Warrior Invite. 

Bellevue West played great, they are a well coached team.  Our girls showed up focused and had a great rebound match after our loss to Millard North,” Jeseritz said. 

The tennis team had eight girls compete in doubles against Bellevue west. They won three out of the four of the matches.

With the team being focused on training they are excited for the upcoming season and teams. The tennis team loves to see where they stand against other teams. The Metro conference is the halfway point for most people’s season; the westside warrior invite is one of the tournaments most similar to metros. It will be the teams biggest tournament before metros. 

“The Metro Conference tournament and it really helps every team there get a sense of where they are to start the year, or see what changes need to be made,” Jeseritz said.

The tennis team has noticeable leadership from the upperclassman of the team. Jerseritz enjoys seeing this leadership from the seniors he knows that it makes them better people than they already are. 

“The seniors do a great job.  Both of them are three year varsity members and our both great players and just great people,” Jeseritz said. 

With the large number of girls at tryouts they had three new girls on the court. Jerseritz knows that they will get better with playing time. He also mentioned how the girls need more time practicing with their partners and how they work together, with the senior leaders on the team Jeseritz wants the girls to get to know each other so they know how they compete as one team. 

“Both the older and younger girls just need to get used to playing with one another.  To start the year we are playing three new girls in our tournament roster, and they just need to get more time on court together,” Jeseritz said. 

The girls compete next on Thursday, March 28 at home against Lincoln Southwest.