Okafor commits to Nebraska

CeCe Gerard
Okafor on senior night.

Senior Preston Okafor has committed to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to continue his academic and football career. 

Looking to next year Okafor will be playing with the Huskers, but his main focus is to finish the season with another state championship trophy. 

“We treat every rep like it is our last, we go hard every play and we’ve stuck with this mentality throughout the season,” Okafor said. 

These next few Fridays are the last time Okafor will play for Westside and he is excited to go into playoffs as the No. 1 seed. 

“I think it’s awesome that we are the No. 1 seed, but at the same time anything can happen,” Okafor said. 

Okafor plays one of the hardest positions on the field, but this doesn’t stop him from trying to get better. 

“Corner is the hardest position on defense and I’m sure many would agree. If you just work on your craft and your footwork anyone can get better and anything can happen,” Okafor said.

On Nov. 21, Westside football will hopefully play in the state championship, and this will be Okafor’s final game.

“It would mean everything, it’s just the best way to finish. All the hard work you’ve done, especially to be at the final stage playing at memorial, it will be awesome,” Okafor said. 

After this month Okafor will be looking forward to his football and academic career at UNL. Many schools have recruited him but his heart was set on somewhere close to home. 

“It was honestly my best option, I wanted to stay close to home and I trusted Matt Rhule and what he is doing with the program. I think it will be cool to go down there and prove myself.”