Westside wins rematch against Junior Jays 54-6

Joey Gerard

Top-ranked Westside moves on to the quarterfinals of the state playoffs after a 54-6 win over their rival Creighton Prep in the opening round. The Warriors win continues the undefeated year moving to 10-0 on the year. The rematch of the two teams was nearly an exact replica of the first meeting, everything went the Warriors way all night. It was a dominant performance by both the offense and defense. 

Anthony Rezac continued his campaign for the title of “best quarterback in the state” with another great performance. The senior completed 16 of 21 passes for 228 yards and four touchdowns. He also was second on the team in rushing with 86 yards. The rushing leader was Jahmez Ross, who had 149 yards and three touchdowns. 

“Just coming out playing hard, the o-line been working on taking a good first step and coming off the ball aggressively every single play,” Ross said. “And that’s what we did today.”

Christian Jones led the Warriors receivers with six receptions for 117 yards and two touchdowns. Caleb Benning had four receptions for 84 yards and a score. Tight end Trevor Spady also had a touchdown. 

Teddy Rezac and Benning both had an interception each. Jonquel Osler and RJ Eckhardt each had one sack to go along with the defensive performance. 

The scoring started off with back to back touchdowns by Ross, the first a 17-yard run, then a 14-yard sprint to the end zone. Before the first quarter ended with Jones scoring consecutive touchdowns. His first on a seven-yard reception, then a 46-yard reception. In the second quarter Beau Ryan capped off a nine play drive with a two-yard touchdown run. Spady then caught a 14-yard pass for a touchdown. At the end of the half Ross scored his third touchdown of the game.

“I just know i need to lower my shoulder this week and just started getting in the end zone more and that’s what I did today,” Ross said.

The only Warriors score in the second half came in the third quarter on a 42-yard reception by Benning. Creighton Prep scored their only points on a 42-yard receiving touchdown by Michael Burt. 

The Warriors move on to face No. 9 Bellevue West, with a record of 7-3. The game will be a rematch for the teams, as they played in week three. The Warriors won that game 45-12. 

“Same thing as every week, we’re gonna go out and make everyone tap out,” “we want to play to our standards, nobody else’s standards.” 

The game is Friday at Phelps Field.