Top-ranked Westside wins showdown over No.2 Millard South 31-14

Kendra Cox

Top-ranked Westside remained undefeated, after beating No. 2 Millard South 31-14 at Buell Stadium.  The matchup started off slow, but the ending lived up to the hype of the state’s top two ranked teams. Westside head coach Paul Limongi was happy with the result.

“They’re a really good football team, got a lot of talent,” Limongi said. “It was good to play four quarters, face some adversity and we handled it pretty well. We got to keep getting better and elevate, but I’m really proud of the guys for the grittiness and toughness tonight. Defensively, I thought we played really, really well. Offensively we got things going when we needed it and were just happy to walking away with a good, hard earned victory.” 

The offense was led by Anthony Rezac, who completed 18 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown. The senior quarterback also added 108 yards and a touchdown on the ground. Rezac was ready for a tough game. 

“We knew coming in they were a really good team, they have athletes, they have great lineman on the defensive and offensive side,” Rezac said. “Just executing and doing what we need to every play was the key to success.”

Running back Jahmez Ross carried the ball 18 times for 85 yards and one touchdown. Caleb Benning led the receivers with seven receptions for 65 yards. Tight end Trevor Spady caught three passes to total 60 yards. Keynan Cotton had four receptions for 38 yards and a touchdown. 

The defense was led by standout cornerback Jordan Hurst, who had two interceptions, including a game sealing pick six. Hurst was expecting a fight all game. 

“We had to keep our guys involved, we knew it was gonna be a dogfight,” Hurst said. “We knew its was gonna be a 48 minute fight, so we just had to keep out guys involved and keep doing what we do on the field.”

Linebacker Beau Ryan had eight tackles. Defensive lineman RJ Eckhardt added seven tackles. Defensive back Teddy Rezac also had an interception to close out an impressive performance. 

The game started off slow, with Ross capping off a 11-play, 62-yard drive with a three-yard touchdown. In the second quarter Will Bauerly made a 24-yard field goal, to put the Warriors up 10-0 at half. 

The second half started off with a 19-yard receiving touchdown by Cotton. The Patriots responded with a five-yard touchdown pass to Dylan Kuhl to make the score 17-7. In the fourth quarter the Warriors seemed to have control, but Rezac fumbled and Kuhl returned the ball 60 yards to make it a three-point game. Rezac responded in a great way, with a 19-yard rushing touchdown to put the Warriors back up 10. 

“There was a little bit of pain but that’s alright, but what was going through my mind was next play, making me feel like i let the team down a little bit but at the same time your gonna get a chance and get back out there, so you kinda gotta wipe it from your mind and just go out and ball out,” Rezac said. “The next drive was just domination, ET [effort and toughness], we’ve been practicing it since last december and we were able to do it on that drive.”

The game ended on a pick six, from 65 yards out by Jordan Hurst, which sealed the Warriors win. 

“I kinda lost in the lights at the end there, so I had to find it again, track it,” Hurst said. “And I just used my speed and took it all the way back.” 

Westside will close the regular season on Thursday, when they host Lincoln Northeast. The game will be “Senior Night”, when 27 varsity players will be honored for their time at Westside. The Warriors have presumably locked up the number one seed in the state playoffs with an 8-0 record, but the mindset is no different than any other game.

“Elevating, every single practice, every meeting, every workout,” Rezac said. “Thursday is “Senior Night ” so that’s gonna be special and I’m looking forward to it.”