Football team gets revenge on Homecoming

CeCe Gerard

Top-ranked Westside celebrated Homecoming with a 63-0 shutout victory over North Platte.  Last year the Bulldogs handed the Warriors their only loss of the year, making them seek revenge. The star of the show was once again the Westside defense. 

The defense completed their third shutout of the season, against the Bulldogs. The defense only allowed 45 total yards, which were all on the ground. North Platte attempted two passes, one fell incomplete and the other was intercepted by senior safety Caleb Benning. The leading tackler was Beau Ryan, who had 11 stops. The defense also had a fumble recovery that was returned for a touchdown by Christian Jones. The junior linebacker scooped the ball up and ran it back 32 yards. Head coach Paul Limongi was pleased with the defensive performance and game plan put in place.

“Give credit to coach Damon Benning and Coach Jeremy Queen for co-D coordinating the defense,” Limongi said. “The guys played hard, they played physical tonight and they were motivated to make sure the same thing didn’t happen again this year. We went in trying to stop the run and we did that.” 

The offense performance was a well balanced machine. All eight offensive touchdowns were by different players. Quarterback Anthony Rezac completed nine passes for 125 yards and three touchdowns. The senior also got in on the rushing attack with 68 yards and one touchdown. The leading rusher was senior Jahmez Ross, who had 173 yards and one touchdown. 

“It felt really good to score the first touchdown,” Ross said. “Not being able to play last year I kinda had to show them what they were missing and what we came out to do.”

Many other senior running backs also contributed on the ground including Ashton Metoyer, who had 84 yards and one touchdown. Brody Goc rushed for 29 yards and scored a touchdown. Nick Anglim had four yards and one touchdown. 

“It starts up front with our offensive line, they were coming off the ball tonight, they were relentless with their effort,” Limongi said. “And when out o-line it makes it a little easier for our backs to run and when our backs have a seam, their tuff, strong and they run and they take full advantage of that.”

The top receiver was Keynan Cotton, who had two receptions for 56 yards. Benning had 13 yards and added a touchdown. Tight ends Jones and Trevor Spady both had one touchdown as well. 

The game opened with a 38-yard Ross touchdown, followed by a one yard punch in by Brody Goc to make it 14-0 after the first quarter. In the second quarter Benning caught a 5-yard reception touchdown and Anglim’s 3-yard touchdown rush. After getting the ball back twice more to end the first half, the Rezac had a 39-yard scramble for a touchdown and a 6-yard pass to Spady. 

The third quarter the Warriors had two touchdowns both by Jones. A 16-yard reception and fumble recovery ran back. The scoring ended in the fourth quarter on a 18-yard touchdown run by Metoyer. 

The next game the Warriors will take on No. 5 Kearney. The Bearcats will come into the game undefeated, with a 6-0 record. Kearney will be by far the best team the Warriors will have played this season. 

“We’re just gonna have meetings to talk about what we need to do and execute the plan,” Ross said. “Just out hit and ET (effort and toughness) through the whole thing.”

The next game will be played Friday Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. at the University of Nebraska-Kearney at Ron & Carol Cope Stadium.