Football team improves to 4-0 after blowout against Millard North

Joey Gerard

Top-ranked Westside continued their undefeated season after another 49-7 blowout victory over Millard North. The Mustangs came into the game with an 0-3 record. The win bumps the Warriors record to 4-0, continuing to show little weakness on all the phases of the game. 

The offense was once again led by quarterback Anthony Rezac, who completed six of seven passes for 155-yards and two touchdowns. The senior also had 149-yards and three touchdowns on the ground. 

“The big boys up front, they really paved the way, made it alot easier for me,” Rezac said. “And the wide outs, when we had the chance to pass they got open and made a lot of great plays, so it just makes the job easy for me.”

In the air the Warriors were led by junior tight end Christian Jones, who had two receptions for 91-yards,two touchdowns and 10 tackles. 

“It was good, disciplined football,” Jones said. “We all had our assignments and everyone played fast.”

The ground attack was once again led by senior Jahmez Ross, with 102-yards and one touchdown. The defense was once again stout, allowing one touchdown, making the season total just 26 points. The defense was led by senior linebacker Beau Ryan who had 12 tackles.

“It just felt great, we had a great defensive plan, just flying around the field,” Ryan said. “Having guys like CJ and Nick [Anglim] force in the sides so everything came to me, it was awesome.

The scoring started on the opening play of  Westside’s first drive. Rezac connected with Jones for a  79-yard touchdown. The next drive Rezac rushed 30-yards into the end zone, putting the Warriors up 14-0 after just 67 seconds of offense. The second quarter started with two short rushing touchdowns from Rezac. The next drive Ross broke free up the middle for his longest run of the season with a 68-yard touchdown. Nearing halftime Jones caught his second touchdown, this one from 12-yards out. That score gave Westside a 35-0 lead at halftime. 

The third quarter’s only score was a 53-yard Rezac rushing touchdown. In the fourth Westside pulled the starters after being up 42-0. Millard North was able to score once on a 10-yard Caden Vermaas touchdown run. Close to the end of the game Kline stripped the ball from backup quarterback Marcus Hankins, and took the ball 33-yards for a defensive touchdown. 

This week the Warriors have a two hour bus ride to Norfolk. The Panthers will come into the game 3-1 record after a two-point loss to Grand Island.

“Coach Limongi always says this next game is the most important,” Ryan said. “After this game we just got to elevate in every aspect, offense, defense, special teams and I think we’ll be prepared for it.”