How Swede it is: Westside’s indoor golf simulator

Audrey Persaud
Sally Carlson prepares to take a swing on the Swede Center’s putting green.

Many have not heard of the Swede Center at Westside High School. Either way the Swede Center is way bigger than just a golf facility, with a lot of history behind it.

The whole idea of the Swede Center started from the dad of former Westside golfer Kaitlyn Hanna, who is a two-time state champion. Terry Hanna , who is the Developmental Director for the Westside Community Schools Foundation started the project by simply putting together a few ideas and getting Scott Carlson involved.

Scott’s father Merrill, known as “Swede,” is who the Center is named after. Swede wasn’t able to go to college without a scholarship that was provided to him by a gentleman back in the 1950’s. Scott then wanted to pay that scholarship forward and do it through Westside as an alum.

The 1,600-square-foot Swede Center was opened on Feb. 15, 2021 and cost $350,000. There were a total of 55 donors who contributed to the Swede Center including a guy, who gave wood from parts of his house to create the interior of the Swede. The Swede is the first one of its kind in the United States, meaning the first public school indoor golf training facility.

There are many reasons golfers, coaches and people outside of the high school love the Swede Center.

“My favorite part of the Swede Center is the ability to practice during the day. No other school has something like this and it’s a great tool to have,” golfer Carly Brown said. “I have also created many friendships here. The boys and girls team have come together and the Swede Center being the cause of this. It’s amazing to have such a strong relationship with the boys team.”

Sophomore Lily Gutta has expressed her liking towards the simulator and how it can allow her to practice during open mods.

“My favorite thing about the Swede Center is being able to practice during the day,” Gutta said.  “When I am in school sometimes it is draining and I love taking advantage of the simulator during my open mods. I love putting and playing a few holes to take my mind off school.”

Sophomore Addison Benge agrees with Gutta.

“I love the Swede Center for many things but I think my favorite thing about it is probably the ability to practice indoors during the season, most kids do not get that opportunity,” Benge said.

The Swede Center has also created a great culture for the golf team.

“The Swede Center gives our golfers a home, a place where they can gather, work on their craft and spend time together,” golf coach Jered Hellman said. “The Swede has helped create a culture of hard work and dedication to our program.”