Girls golf team places third at Metros

Ross Jernstrom
Senior Carly Brown

The Westside girls golf team placed third at the Metro Conference tournament played at Elmwood Park on Tuesday, Sept. 26. The Warriors had many ups and downs in their round, mainly on the green, but did not let that get in their way of making the top three.

Westside was led by Carly Bea Brown, who finished in ninth place with a round of 82. Chole DiPrima ended up in 13th place with an 84. Sophia Martin also earned a medal with a round of 85 to finish in 15th place.

It was kind of an up and down day, there were a couple times I would make a double but I had a couple birdies so I was kinda all over the place which I guess that’s how golf goes sometimes.” Brown said. “There were a couple holes where pin placement was kinda hard, people were having six puts, eight puts.”

Sophomore Addie Benge also thought the greens were fast.

“My putting at Metros definitely could’ve been better, but overall I would say my game was pretty good alongside some mistakes that cost me,” Benge said.

Unlike a lot of the girls on the 12th hole, Martin got along with the putting green, after a birdie from the fairway..

“It was super fun to chip in on a hole that coach Hellman was with me on and being able to celebrate that with him,” Martin said.

You can’t control how good your golf game will be each day, but you can control your mindset.

“I think I did good at keeping a positive mindset and that allowed me to keep improving as my round went on.” Martin said.

Benge believes that keeping a great mindset will help her and her team in Districts this week.

“Next week at Districts I want to keep the mindset that every shot counts and it will be a close run but if I keep my bad holes to a minimum we will be alright,” Benge said.

Coach Jered Hellman thinks one of the key parts to playing to your best ability is to not let the pressure get to you.

I think pressure, this team, this is new for them, being a top two or three team in the Metro. And I challenged them last night, this morning.” Hellman said.  “I told them we can win this and I think that pressure got to us but that’s ok.”

Continuing to do the things the Warriors do best and also work on aspects of their game, the girls golf team is ready to take on Districts at the Fairplay Golf course in Norfolk.

“We base our season off of majors. This was our first one and it looks like we are going to get second or third and that’s nothing to shake your head about and we’re off to districts next Tuesday at Fairplay, a District we can win.” Hellman said.

The Warriors head out to Norfolk to give it their best shot at taking home the Class A District trophy.

“We play Fairplay out at Norfolk, it is a pretty easy course so we should be able to go low there.” Brown said.”

The Warriors will play in the A-4 District on Tuesday in Norfolk.