Seniors make final trip on fairways

Seniors make final trip on fairways

The Westside girls golf team has seven seniors, who have really enjoyed being a part of a special group on the fairways. Kylee Buscher, Ava Robino, Madie Schlegel, Aja Lenczowski, Carly Bea Brown, Mia Schuyler and Sarah Weiss are making their final trip around the links.

Robino’s favorite memory of high school golf was the state tournament last year when the Warriors finished in 11th place.

“My favorite memory from golf was probably the state tournament last year. We had so much fun as a team and it was a great experience,” Robino said.

Schlegel also enjoyed the state tournament last year. But her favorite memory of high school was her junior year of districts.

“My favorite memory is playing in Districts during my junior year,” Schlegel said. “The team had worked so hard last year to get to State without a girl in the top 15ish in the State and we were nervous but ready. We played incredibly well and made it to State as a team.”

The game of golf is tough both physically and mentally and takes a lot of motivation that can’t always come from the players. For Schlegel her biggest motivators are her parents who encourage her on and off the course. 

“My biggest motivators have always been my parents,” Schlegel said. “Before every tournament they tell me to have fun, and they are always there for me during the great rounds and the bad rounds.” 

Robino’s dad has not only been her biggest motivator. But they have also made great memories together on the golf course.

“My biggest motivator in golf has definitely been my dad. He’s been taking me golfing since I was a little kid and we’ve had a lot of great times together on the course,” Robino said.

Buscher has had a lot of fun playing with her teammates throughout high school.

“My biggest motivator is my teammates. There are seven seniors and we are all super close and love competing with each other every week. I started playing golf when I was little but I kept playing because my grandparents are golfers and we love to golf together.”

Being a senior there are some things people wish they could’ve done differently throughout highschool.

“My best advice for younger golfers would be to always have fun with it and don’t let a bad shot get in your head for too long and ruin your round because at the end of the day it doesn’t matter,” Robino said.

“When starting golf It seems like a long season, but it goes by fast. Enjoy every second of it and put in the work,” Schlegel said. You’ll regret not putting in the time with your team and friends. And don’t forget to smile, no matter what DMGB.” 

“I would tell incoming golfers to just have fun. Golf is such a mental game that you really have to find why you love it so you can stay positive each round,” Buscher said.

The golfers are looking forward to playing in the Metro tournament at Elmwood Park on Tuesday. Sept. 26.