Warriors tune up for Metro golf championship

The Westside girls golf team finished in third place this past Sept. 18 at the Willow Lakes golf course. Five of the seven seniors, Madie Schlegel, Kylee Buscher, Mia Schuyler, Ava Robino and Aja Lenczowski played in the round.

The Warriors have been working hard these past few weeks to earn themselves a spot on the Metro Conference tournament team.

“Competition is tight for our 5th spot for our Metro, Districts and State team,”coach Jered Hellman said. “This was another event for these girls to compete and earn their spot.”

Lenczowski kept her strokes down on the tee box and in the fairway.

“I would say the best part of my round was my drives and getting to the green,” Lenczowski said. “But my putting needs some work, it cost me some strokes on the green”

Buscher enjoys talking to the girls in her group, which improves her golf game.

“The best part of my round was playing with two really nice girls from Gretna and Papio South because even though we are competing, “ Buscher said. “We get to know each other which helps the round go quicker and you feel more comfortable which improves my game overall. Next time I want to get better at not getting discouraged early on. If I have a bad hole in the beginning I need to forget about it and focus on the next shot.”

Hellman thought the girls played amazing and is glad to have such great seniors lead the team.

“The girls did awesome yesterday, our focus was to have positive attitudes and not let one bad hole affect our game, they did wonderfully,” Hellman said. “Coaching and working with them yesterday was another reminder of how lucky I am to have this amazing group of seniors to lead our program.”

The Warriors will play in the Metro Conference golf championship at Elmwood Park on Tuesday, Sept. 26.