Senior balances golf and cheer

Senior Carly Brown, captain of golf and cheer is swinging into her final season of fall sports. She is taking on both and multitasking through the season. 

The cheer squad practices three times a week. Brown and the other cheer girls go to multiple sporting events such as football, volleyball, and basketball during the school year to cheer. Brown has many responsibilities and has to show leadership when it comes to being Captain on the team. 

“Carly does a great job leading by example, she doesn’t have to yell or get angry for people to listen,” coach Petyon Sickler said. “She claims respect by being kind, working hard and doing things the right way. She always gives 100 percent and constantly is asking for ways to improve.”

Sickler and her teammates believe the younger girls learn from watching her. 

“Carly shows leadership by taking initiative and helping the coaches with things that the other players might not always want to do,” teammate Ava Robino said. 

Taking on both sports in the same season comes with balancing both golf and cheer mentally and physically.

“I’m a very big planner, so I make sure I know what my schedule is for the week, lay stuff out, make sure that I am prepared for the football game, or prepared for a golf tournament,” Brown said. 

Last week Brown had a golf tournament in Kearney before the Prep vs. Westside Football game. She misses school often and is always talking to teachers to make up for missing work. Carly knew she needed to communicate with coaches and teachers to make sure everyone knew where she would be.

“I told my coach I had to leave right after I was done, and went straight to cheer,” Brown said. 

She is fantastic at communicating all conflicts way in advance as well as sending reminders to us when she will be away,” Sickler said. 

Even though juggling both sports can be stressful Brown works hard to make sure she is succeeding at both golf and cheer.

“Carly Bea is an amazing athlete, she would excel at any sport she devoted her time to. She is very coachable and always trying to improve,” coach Jered Hellman said.   

Through both sports Carly has made strong relationships with her coaches Jered Hellman and Peyton Sickler. 

I have a great relationship with CBB,  I have been very fortunate to know the Brown family. She was a stud athlete then and she continues to amaze me.  I coached her brother Kolby and have become friends with her parents,” Hellman said. 

Sickler agrees with Hellman.  

“I know I can always rely on her if I need something. I’m very hard on Carly and like her to push herself and she keeps a smile on her face,” Sickler said.