Eight senior athletes sign their letter of intent

Gage Vondra
Back Row: CeCe Gerard, Aidan Cunningham, Rickey Loftin, Kaidence Dumas Front Row: Kara Stricklin, Emily Jasa, Maia Jaroch, Kiley Tigani

Eight seniors signed to their future colleges on Wednesday, Apr.17 in the main gym. The signees included Kara Stricklin, CeCe Gerad, Rickey Loftin, Kiley Tigani, Emily Jasa, Aidan Cunningham, Kaidence Dumas and Maia Jaroch.

Stricklin is committed to Johnson County Community College for basketball. She broke the season three point record after being at Westside for only a year. She also made all-state.

“I chose Johnson County because it felt like a home away from home,” Stricklin said. “It had a really good program and culture down there. The thing I will miss most about the Westside is all my teammates and coaches who helped me get here.”

Gerard is committed to Butler University. Gerard contributed to the back to back state championships for the girls swim team.

“I chose Butler because it reminded me the most of what we do here at Westside,” Gerard said. “I had a great experience going here and it was so much fun and I want to continue doing that in school, what I will miss the most about Westside is Westside swimming and the team that we built and I think we have one of the best atmospheres in the state, we have a great group of girls and it will be sad to leave.”

Loftin committed to Southwestern Community College in Iowa. Loftin was on the varsity basketball team. He was one of the key players that led the team to the final four in the state basketball championship.

“I want to thank my teammates, my friends and my family. I chose Southwestern because it felt like home. They had open arms, I felt very comfortable when I went there and I liked the environment and the coaches,” Loftin said. “The thing that I will miss the most about Westside is team dinners, memories and team bonding.”

Tigani committed to the University of Nebraska Omaha. She has been on the dance team and went to nationals.

“I picked UNO because not only the culture there, but their dance program is amazing along with their education,” Tigani said. “What I will miss most about Westside is my teammates and the long practices. This was the best four years of my life and I can’t wait to see what will happen next.”

Jasa committed to Nebraska Wesleyan University for soccer.

“I chose Wesleyan because I really love the team atmosphere and the coaches, they were very welcoming and were excited to have me,” Jasa said. “I love the academics there and the school is very close to home and I really like that, what I miss the most with playing at Westside is the teammates and the bond I have with them, they are really some of my best friends so I will miss them and miss being around them and the fun atmosphere.”

Cunningham committed to the Missouri University of Science and Technology. He was on the swim team and placed fifth for the 500 free at state and placed ninth for the 200 free.

“I chose that school because their academics program was above and beyond and I was given the opportunity by their head coach to join the swim team,” Cunningham said. “The combination of those two things was the best seller.”

Dumas committed to Quincy University in Illinois. She was on the softball team and led the team in home runs.

“I chose Quincy because I already felt super welcomed whenever I stepped on campus, and I had a great bond with the coaches and they are going to make me a better personal player,” Dumas said. “Something that I will miss about Westside is the players and coaches overall, they made it a great time and it was a very enjoyable and competitive atmosphere, I really liked it.”

Jaroch committed to Buena Vista University. She plays soccer and is ranked as one of the top goalies in Nebraska.

“The reason I chose BVU is the second I stepped foot on campus there it felt like a home and I love everything about it,” Jaroch said. “I felt really comfortable with the team and the coach and I was never nervous to talk to them, I was always looking forward to that next conversation, the thing I will miss most about Westside is the atmosphere, they have been so supportive of me through the ups and downs, and I’m so thankful.”