Warriors shoot 300 at Alex Shives Invitational

Jered Hellman

This week the Warriors partook in the Alex Shives invitational at Oak Hills Country Club alongside Millard North and Prep. Westside came out on top with a complete team score of 300.  Christopher Whittle was their standout player this week, shooting a final score of 72. Whittle placed first on the team and was fourth in the whole tournament. Overall, he was one stroke off from tying with the three players in first.  This year, Whittle has been playing as the third man in the lineup, and has been a crucial part of their team. Tara Hills pro Alex Shives was killed in a vehicle related accident in 2015 and this tournament was put in place to honor his memory. Westside brought home the tournament championship belt for the second year in a row. This belt is awarded to the winner of this tournament every season and will be spending yet another year in the Swede center.

Head coach Jered Hellman was nothing short of ecstatic when it came to his teams first place finish.

“It’s awesome,” Hellman said. “It’s always one of our favorite tournaments because we get to play at this wonderful facility and it’s always a very well run tournament. To win it back to back is great. It’s fun because if you win you get a belt and the belt has been in the swede for a year and now we get to keep it for another year. That was the goal and anytime we can accomplish a goal we’re happy.”

Whittle has been one of their top players for all of his three years at Westside. This tournament he showed out and assisted in his team’s win with his 72.

“It means a lot,” Whittle said. “This is one of the best tournaments in high school golf. This is a great course and it’s a lot of fun. It just means a lot to us to get another victory.”

Whittle had the lowest score on his respective team and played lights out. When asked about what it meant to have the lowest score on his team, he believed it actually helped his other teammates out.

“It’s nice to play well,” Whittle said. “Some of my teammates were struggling a little bit today. It helped pick them up because they would do the same for me when I’m struggling a little bit. It just helped us out and got us another victory.”

Although they did get the win, coach Hellman believed they did have some inconsistencies that they can hopefully improve on in the future.

“We played really well and started strong,” Hellman said. “We didn’t putt great today, but we held it together. When you can get four guys under 77 on and windy day at a nice golf course, I’ll take that.”

Coach Hellman was also thrilled with how Whittle played in this tournament. Attributing his score to his mindset and how he is able to handle himself on the course.

“He’s just steady,” Hellman said. “Even talking to him he said ‘coach I didn’t even play that great. It was just consistent and that’s where Christopher has gotten his game to. If you look at his last 15 tournament rounds the consistency is just really impressive and we can lean on him. Christopher is pretty low maintenance out there, he can go about his business and it’s awesome to be able to rely on Christopher.”

Personally reflecting, Whittle feels like there is room for improvement but that he was able to understand where he needed help and could help himself get back on track.

“It was good,” Whittle said. It was a little bit up and down all day, but I feel like whenever I made a mistake I bounced back real well and just stayed in it and battled the whole time. I was very close to first place. I had a six foot putt for par on 18 and I just missed it. That would have got me into the play off. Which is unfortunate but overall a very good day.”

Looking forward, Whittle has nothing but high hopes for the team. They have been playing fantastic so far and they are looking to try and put this season right next to the last one.

“We’re playing really well right now,” Whittle said. “We have had two invitationals so far and we have won both of them by good margins. We’re the defending state champs so we do have a target, but we’re just kind of trying to go play one tournament at a time. Just play as well as we can and see how we stack up.”

Hellman has the exact same thought as Whittle. This is only Hellman’s second year as head coach, but he is ready to make a long lasting impact.

“Two events, two wins,” Hellman said. “Things are in perspective. We know when we need to play our best golf and of course we are happy that we are winning. But our eyes are on the end of the season.”