Football team ready to begin season

Offense, Defense and Special Teams Preview
Cece Gerard
Rezac and Benning are ready to try for a second straight state championship.

Before the football season kicks off tonight against Creighton Prep, Westside Wired’s sports reporters preview all aspects of the team.

Offense

Westside’s football team is built for success in the 2023 season. A big part of that is due to the offensive side of the ball. After going 12-1 last year and returning most of the roster, the team is the preseason number one team again in 2023. The Warriors return several key starters and are expected to put up big numbers this season. 

At the helm of the Warrior offense is quarterback Anthony Rezac. Last year in his junior season, he threw for 2,239 yards, with 19 touchdowns in the air while completing over 67 percent of his passes. What makes Rezac truly special is his dual threat ability. Last season he added 1,118 yards on the ground and ran in 19 more touchdowns. After this season Rezac should be able to add on to his list of college offers. Rezac’s ability to keep defenders guessing is what will make the Warrior offense so great. Rezac heading into his last year wants to make this season special. 

“Senior year one last ride,” Rezac said. “It’s kinda starting to kick in it’s last year so I’m trying to not take it for granted, just appreciate every moment.”

Rezac will not be alone leading the offense this season. Two way star and power five recruit senior Caleb Benning will be on the other end of many connections this season. Other senior receivers Preston Okafor, Keynan Cotton and Omaha North transfer Ke’Vaughn Shannon will play a big part in the passing game this year. Senior tight end Trevor Spady and Rezac’s twin brother, Teddy, will also play a big part in the offense. The rushing attack will be led by Senior Jahmez Ross, who was bothered by injuries throughout last season. The blocking up front for the Warriors will be crucial this season, Senior tackle Broc Regner will lead the group up front. Rezac describes this offense as “explosive.”

“I think we have a lot of really great players,” Rezac said. “Benning’s been a star and he missed most of last year, he’s a really great weapon. Keynan Cotton is really starting to get a lot more confidence at receiver and he’s looked great. Ross looks awesome, he looks quick, fast, lost a little bit of weight so he’s gonna be a really good weapon for us. The o-line has been working hard everyday, it all starts up there up front with the big boys.” 

Rezac and the Westside offense is looking to improve on last year’s offense that was already one of the best in state. Winning with a 18-point average margin of victory and 44 points per game average. Last year’s offense was pushing the ball downfield quickly with 71 plays of 20 yards or more. With all the big plays the Warriors averaged 399 yards a game last season.  The big play should be something the Warriors will look for this season. 

“We’re not trying to view the year any differently just because of past success,” Rezac said. “It’s a new team, we haven’t done anything yet so we kinda got prove ourselves and I think we’ve changed this year starting practice with effort and toughness.”

Defense

The Westside football team is coming into the 2023 season with all the eyes on them. The Warriors are coming off a state championship season and are ranked number one in the state by the Omaha World Herald.

Westside’s defense is led by All-State safety Caleb Benning, who spoke about the team returning from their state championship season. 

“It means everything, we have a motto, ‘Run it back’ but we know we can’t do things the same as last season, we have to elevate,” Benning said. “That’s what the message has been the whole offseason, just elevate and getting better.”

Last year Benning suffered a collarbone injury in the third game of the season and returned to make a huge impact in the Class A final against Gretna. The All-Stater intercepted two passes in the first quarter. Benning talked about what the pressure is like for the Warriors after such a great season. 

“Yeah we expected it, to be the champs you gotta beat the champs so we’re taking no one lightly,” Benning said. “Playing like it’s the most important game every week and we know teams are going to play extra tough against us so we gotta up our enthusiasm and toughness as well.”

Benning spoke about his injury last season and his mentality shift during his recovery.

“When it first happened, I remembered asking why me? But as I went through the injury and talked to the coaches, I changed that question to “why not me?” Benning said. “I’ve been through a lot both in football and outside of football and I’m still here, so as long as I get an opportunity to play I take what happens, try to learn from it and try to get better.”

Being a player that can play both ways, Benning talked about what it’s like being able to play both wide receiver and defensive back.

“It is a little tiring but that shouldn’t matter, you should train with such a matter where how much time you’re on the field doesn’t matter,” Benning said. “I always want to be on the field, I always want to do stuff to help the team out, whether that’s defense, offense, special teams, kick return, punt return, whatever helps the team I’m down to do.”

The Westside defense also features Notre Dame recruit Teddy Rezac at outside linebacker and defensive back. Junior Christian Jones will also make an impact at outside linebacker. Jones is considered a top 150 prospect and has been invited to the All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

Special Teams

Westside’s special teams will have a new look this season. Senior Will Bauerly will be taking the role as the new kicker after a record breaking season last year with Nebraska recruit Tristan Alvano and punter Marty Mormino. Alvano set the school record for the most field goals in a career with 27. Mormino also has the school record for the best punting average at 40.64 yards. 

Special teams coach Garet Moravec told Bauerly that the spot was his last year for this upcoming season. 

“The competition was already my spot to lose this year, so I had to still work hard to keep my spot,” Bauerly said. “An up and coming kicker sophomore Everest Scherlizin has been improving  this year, he helps me stay at a high level.”

Moravec has known Bauerly since his freshman year and trusts him. Bauerly does not feel any pressure following in the steps of Alvano, because it’s a new year and he has been with Alvano since his freshman year.  Bauerly hopes to win a state championship and earn All-State honors.

“Practice has been a lot of trying to perfect my skills to be ready by week one, “ Bauerly said. “Coach Moravec and (coach Michael) Jernigan help by trying to think of new ways to practice or adapt to the skills we already have.”