Bowlers recognized at senior night

Reagan Chastain

Bowling seniors are ready to move into their next chapter 

Sophia Sims 

Sophia Sims has been on the bowling team since her freshman year of highschool. Since then she has formed incredible friendships. “All of us on the team are pretty close with each other and we always have a fun time when we are bowling whether it be at practices or matches,” Sims said. Coaches and teammates on the team have helped Sims during bowling and academically. “Coach Lee Shields dedicates so much time into our program…since he has started coaching there has been so much improvement through all of the girls,” Sims said. Sims will not continue bowling competitively after highschool but says her time doing westside bowling will be bittersweet. “I am happy to have committed all four years of my high school career to this team, but I am upset to see the fun practices and interesting matches come to an end,” Sims said. She will always continue loving the girls on the team, after she leaves. “It is especially hard because I truly love all of the girls on the team and we have created such an incredible bond, so leaving that behind will be difficult.” Sims said. Sims hasn’t committed to college yet, but plans to attend college in the fall. 

Lucas Fehr

Lucas Fehr has been on the bowling team since his freshman year and will continue after high school in a recreationally league. “I will continue to bowl recreationally after high school with plans to join a local league for fun,” Fehr said. Being on the bowling team Fehr has made strong friendships. “My relationship with my teammates is great. We all get along and have fun out there,” Fehr said. Coaches at Westside have helped Fehr and will continue to support him. “They have done a great lot to improve my skills on the lane, and supported me all throughout high school,” Fehr said. Fehr and his friends have had a great time bowling throughout the years, but Fehr says he’ll miss it. “I love being a part of a team at westside with my friends, It is something I really enjoy,” Fehr said, “I’ll miss the free opportunities and resources available to me through high school.” As this is his last season as a senior, next fall he will be attending University of Nebraska Lincoln. 

Reed Elias 

Reed Elias has been bowling for three years now, joining the team as a sophomore. Event though Elias has only been on the team for a couple of years, he has created strong relationships with everyone. “It feels really good to be able to compete with my friends. The team is more of a family and I think that’s the thing I’m going to miss the most,” Elias said. Elias is savoring his time left on the team, even if that means taking bigger leadership roles. “I’ve had to take on some leadership roles which I do really enjoy but I’ve also had to communicate and plan a little bit better because I am not only in charge of myself but I’m also partly responsible for my other teammates,” Elias said. “This means picking them up when they are down and doing what I can’t to help them get better.” Elias will miss many things about the bowling team, but he says leaving his friends will be the hardest. “My teammates have always pushed me to be a better bowler and person and that’s what I really love about the westside bowling team. In the fall Elias will be attending Wayne State College.