Bowling team strikes into new season

Junior Jordyn Shields

The bowling team had their first meet Thursday Dec. 1, they have a tough season ahead, but it has started off very well. 

“The boys came out firing on all cylinders and won a solid first match with a total team pinfall of 989 compared to Gretna’s 737. Girls also started out strong and really had a strong performance right out of the gate. Boys and girls teams won both matches,” Coach John McDonald said. 

McDonald is very enthusiastic about this season after the success of last season. 

“I am most excited to see the growth that our men’s and women’s teams have made since last year. We have a tremendous group of student-athletes who put in the hard work both in and out of the classroom and I can’t wait to see what they do this year on the lanes,” McDonald said.

Starting off the season strong Mcdonald still has high expectations for this season. 

“I expect us to grow as a team this year and to build on our historic season last year. Last year, for the first time in school history, we won both the men’s and women’s  district championship and qualified for the state tournament for both men’s and women’s bowling,” McDonald said. “ Our main goal this year, as it is every year, is to win our district and make it to the state tournament. These bowlers have put in a tremendous amount of work in the off season and we are ready to see their hard work pay off this season.”

As the bowling team has only had one match, many are to come. Their season consists of a tough schedule, but they are reaching for success.

“We have a tough schedule this year. It will be a great test for us to see what we are made of. I always welcome a competitive schedule because it helps you to grow early on in the season and face adversity. This definitely helps us out at the end of the season going into the metro conference tournament and in districts,” McDonald said. 

Heading into the next matchup, the bowling team will face Bellevue East on Dec. 7.