A ‘Claire’ path to the gold medal

Claire White becomes first Westside cross country runner to win state

Claire White has etched her name into the Westside Athletics history books becoming the first cross country runner to be crowned a state champion.  The senior had to beat out 100 other competitors to become champion, finishing with a time of 18:32.5.

However, winning this state championship didn’t come without a lot of ups and downs throughout her  career.  

In White’s freshman year she placed fifth at state, in her sophomore year she placed third, and third in her junior year once again. For her to win in her final race of her high school career the emotions after the race were running high.

“I’ve been working so hard the last four years, so to just end it like this is unbelievable,” said White.

White’s determination is what got her through the toughest parts of the race.

“I knew I wanted it more than anyone else, and so I just gutted it to the finish and  hoped that I stayed in the lead,” said White

Stella Miner finished right behind her in second, winning the runner-up medal, finishing with a time of 18:40.1.

White and Miner have been pushing each other all season, and it’s made the both of them better runners.  Both were the only two runners to break the 19 minute mark in the race.

“I’m so proud of how we ran,” Miner said.  “Claire and I are just this unstoppable team and I’m so glad we went one and two in this race. I think it really puts a point on our cross country season.”

Assistant Coach Jon Preister has been coaching White since her freshman season, so her win was a very emotional moment for him as well.

“This was the plan that we hatched for two or three years to get to this moment,” Preister said.  “She executed that plan to a tee, everything, the most coachable athlete I’ve ever had.  All the credit goes to her, absolutely amazing there might quite possibly be another one like her.”