Tennis team places third at State

The boys Westside tennis team had an memorable season, topping it all off with a third place finish at the state tournament. No.2 doubles placed eighth and No.1 doubles finished sixth. Senior AJ Shefsky finished his high school career with a fourth place finish at No.1 doubles. Younger brother Troy Shefky was runner-up for No.2 singles.

Shefksy shared what he thought of his performance and if he believed he played to the best of his abilities. 

I knew I could have done better and I expected myself to be playing in the final match. Credit to Kearney he played better than I have ever seen him play,” AJ said. “In my semifinal match I believe I put too much expectation on myself and I was thinking ahead and I wasn’t prepared for the fight. It was tough with the rain delays but that is no excuse.”

Younger brother Troy shared what he thought of his performance and what factors that might have affected him that earned him the second place finish.

“I did not play that well,” Troy said. “Some of those factors that affected me are the crowd and moving indoors at 2-3 in the first set. But I can improve and I’ll be back.”

This was Troy’s first year playing tennis at Westside. But it was AJ’s last, he looked back at his high school career and shared his favorite memory.

“ I am very thankful for my time on Westside tennis, I have enjoyed every moment being with my team. They are all like brothers to me,” AJ said. “My favorite moments were just spending time with the team. I feel this year came very full circle as I was the youngest on the team for basically three years and this year I was the only senior, I felt that they all played great tennis and continue to improve and they are all great people. I am excited for what the future holds for Westside tennis.”