Volleyball team takes down the patriots of Millard South

The Westside Warriors Volleyball team beat Millard South in three sets on Tuesday, leaving them with an 11-7 record. This puts the Warriors at #6 in class A and 7th in the wildcard standings.

“I think it really set us up for a good run into metros and districts. Millard south is a good, scrappy team, I think we kinda had to warm it up in the first set. We had to work through some tough little runs, but once we did that, I think it just showed us that coming together as a team is gonna help us win. We have the ability to win against most teams, but when we get into metros and the teams get tougher and tougher, we’re really gonna have to lean into the team side of it,” senior Eleanor Brislen said.

The Warriors have impressed under their first coach, Andrew Wihrli. Having beaten teams like Lincoln Southwest, the Warriors have proven to be a competitive matchup against most teams. Aswell as the warriors competitiveness against highly ranked teams, the warriors have shown improvements in other  skills, on and off the court. Under their head coach, the Warriors have expanded their teamwork and chemistry. That has led to better gameplay.

“These last few practices have been really intense. We had our setter go down, she tore her ACL. So now we have a freshman setter and a junior setter. This week’s been a hard week. We’ve had to work hard, figure out some new connections. I think senior night being next Tuesday has really motivated us even more.”

The Warriors head into a senior night matchup against the Millard West Wildcats, who have an 18-10 record. The Warriors face a 7th ranked class-A team. They will play Next Tuesday, Oct. 11.