Tennis team places second at metros

The Westside tennis team finished as runner-ups at the metro tournament held on Wednesday and Thursday. Senior AJ Shefsky won No.1 singles and Freshman brother Troy Shefsky secured the gold medal for No. 2 singles. 

It was a successful tournament for Westside’s AJ Shefsky who opened up the tournament with a win over Buena Vista. He then picked up a win over Millard North in the Quarter finals. To secure his spot in the finals he won over Elkhorn South.

In the No.1 singles finals he played against Creighton preps Alex Liu. It was a tough match but Shefksy came out victorious with a 6-1, 7-5 win. He reflects on his biggest challenge at the tournament. 

“My finals match was very tough and physical,” Shefksy said. “We both started cramping and just fighting through, that was hard.”

Like his brother Troy Shefsky won the No. 2 singles title. He started the tournament with a win over Omaha North and continued his reign with a win over Elkhorn South. He punched his ticket to the finals with a win over Millard West. 

In the finals match he went against Creighton Prep’s Blake Gocken. Troy defeated Gockenblake 6-2, 6-2. He states what was the biggest challenge for him at the tournament. 

“I think the hardest thing at metros was losing to prep in the team event,” Shefksy said. “But I’m very proud of how we did.”

Creighton prep and Westside ended the tournament with 38 points both to their names. But the title went to Prep as they had won a higher percentage of their games than Westside. 

Ashton Rames and Owen Wahl finished third at No. 1 doubles. Carson Kelley and Evan Kugler finished fourth at No. 2 doubles.