Softball senior leads team in home runs, reflects on career

CeCe Gerard

Westside’s Kaidence Dumas has about two weeks left of her last high school softball season. The senior is a crucial part of the team, with 10 home runs. Dumas has an approach to hit the ball every time. 

“Before I step up to the plate I take three deep breaths, then as I’m getting into the box I stare at my bat and tell myself I’m going to hit the ball,” Dumas said. 

Dumas swings the bat hard, she has important equipment to use that makes the ball fly. 

“I swing an Lxt, because it hits dingers, the pop is crazy. It is the best bat and nobody can change my mind,” Dumas said. 

Dumas leads the team in home runs but also as a role model. Coach Mike Leapley thinks Dumas leads the team in her own way. 

She is a silent leader. She won’t say a lot. But when she does, the team responds.” Leapley said, “She won’t say anything until it is needed.”

Softball makes up a big part of Dumas’ life, including her friendships. 

“Softball has taught me a lot of lessons, and has given most of my friendships,” Dumas said. 

Leapley has also developed a strong relationship with Dumas as her coach. 

“As a coach when she gets up I know something big is about to happen. She is very quiet and doesn’t say a lot. Once in a while, she will smirk (in a good way).  At practice, she is a different person. She is Funny, laughs, and is always smiling. But on game day she is all business” Leaply said “During the game I let her be her, we do not say a lot. During practice, we have a great time”.

Dumas has played softball for Westside for four years of high school. She has been playing softball since a very young age, which means many outstanding coaches. 

“My first favorite coach is my dad, and obviously Mike and Don, they just make the game fun,” Dumas said. 

Leaply has been coaching at Westside for four years, so he has watched Dumas play in many games. 

“Let’s say Kaidence and first base have some battles. Pop up tripping over the bag and still making the play comes up smiling.  Like guys I got it no big deal and of course the moon shots she hits in games,” Leaply said.

Kaidence is movativated in many ways by her coaches and especially her teammates. 

Soon the softball team will have to say goodbye to their seniors including Dumas. Come watch her play in her final regular season game against Central on Monday Oct. 2.