Freshman makes varsity softball team

The Warrior softball team has a new star, but she is not new to some of the warriors. Kalista Rich made the varsity team as a freshman after playing for the Primetime softball team for many years before coming to Westside. 

After playing softball for her whole life Rich talks about how practice has really made perfect in this sport. 

“It feels like all my work has paid off,”  Rich said.

Mike Leapley the varsity softball coach explains how Kalista has offered to continue softball in her future and everyone hopes she continues. 

“Kal is full of energy. She is always there for her teammates. Always smiling,” Leapley said.

All teams need someone to boost their confidence when they are low and Kalista is just that to the warrior girls.

“Kalista betters the team by making sure we all feel we are doing good,” sophomore Hannah Miller said.

For Rich the summer was the hardest time for her and not knowing what team she would be joining for the fall season. 

“I would say over the summer was the hardest part because you didn’t know what team you were making so you didn’t know who to bond with but as the school year came around it was easier,”  Rich says.  Moving to new teams is always hard but the Warrior girls taught Rich as if she had always been on the team.  

You can see Kalista on the diamond against Omaha South on Sept. 12.