Teams make adjustments due to heat wave

Ross Jernstrom

A sudden late August heat wave struck the Omaha metro area. Temperatures reached as high as 103 degrees fahrenheit, which sent athletes and coaches working around the heat to still practice and compete during the hottest week of the year.

This was the first full week of high school football games in Nebraska. Westside head football coach Paul Limongi shared what precautions he was taking with the heat as they were facing Creighton Prep in the season opener on Friday, Aug.25. 

We have moved practices to the morning,” Limongi said. “We are taking more water breaks and shortening practice time.”

Not only was football starting, but cross country and boy tennis as well. The Westside girls cross country team is ranked number two going into the season and the boys are ranked number eight. Westside head cross country coach Theresa Gosnell expressed what precautions they were taking and how the athletes were affected by the heat. 

“The main thing we are doing is having practice at 6 a.m. instead of 3:30 p.m.,” Gosnell said. “Even when we run at 6 a.m., the runners are affected. It takes so much more effort to run with the heat and humidity.  It is so important for them to make sure and stay hydrated.”

Westside is ranked number one going into the football season.  Limongi shared how the athletes were affected and if there were any positive outcomes because of the heat. 

“The athletes are doing great, They have adjusted and we have had a great week of practice,” Limongi said. “The players have become more unified and focused throughout this week.”