Boys tennis team ready to open season

Cece Gerard
Senior AJ Shefsky

The Westside boys tennis team is ready to conquer the court this fall. There is a lot to look forward to on the boys team as the varsity team has six new players.  Head coach Bart Jeseritz shared what they have been working on. 

“With so many new guys on the team, figuring out what their individual roles are, and what positions they will play has been a large part of our early season work,” Jeseritz said. “We have two great captains, senior AJ Shefsky and junior Owen Wahl who have really helped with this.”

Last season the Warriors finished in the top ten at the State Championships. Shefsky placed fifth in the No.1 singles. The senior is optimistic about his final season on the court.

“I have my goals this year, but I would say my main goal is to be a good leader,” Shefsky said. “And inspire my younger teammates.”

The team was heavy with seniors last season. They have been putting a lot of effort in the off season and have shown up ready to play. Jeseritz explains his goals for this season as coach.

“My goal is to maximize every ounce of talent and effort that they give,” Jeseritz said. “If I accomplish that as a coach, the positive on court results will follow.”

Shefsky’s younger brother Troy, who is a freshman, was welcomed to the team. Shefsky shared what he has been working on to improve and what he is excited for this season.  

“I have been trying to improve on my game as a whole, but specifically I believe I have grown most in strategy and mental strength,” Shefsky said. “ I am most excited to play alongside my amazing teammates, most are new to the team and I believe they will have huge impacts. It is very cool to have my brother on the team as well.” 

Westside will play against Lincoln East on Thursday, Aug. 24 at the Woods Tennis Center in Lincoln.