Golf team has high hopes this season

Courtesy of WHS Golf
Senior Carly Brown

There are many ups and downs in golf from hitting your ball into the water to scoring a hole in one. Westside head coach Jered Hellman has found a group of girls who love to compete along with the ups and downs that might bring. 

The 2023 girls golf season is officially underway. With many returning players for the Warriors including seven seniors, there are high hopes for Westside this season. The Warriors have many talented players this year, there are 10 girls fighting for the five spots on the varsity team. The goal this season for the Warriors is to compete for metro, district and state titles.

This season I am excited to see all of our hard work pay off,” Hellman said. “We are going to be one of the top teams in the metro before the year is over and look to improve on our 11th place finish at state last year.” 

Senior Carly Brown is returning for her final year as a Warrior. She is looking forward to this golf season.

I’m looking forward to getting closer with my teammates and having a great last season,” Brown said. “Some of the goals I have set for the golf team is to win metros and districts.

An individual goal I have is to individually place in the top 10 at districts and the state golf tournament.”

Along with the returning players to the golf team there are also many new contributors including Chloe DiPrima.The freshman recently won The Nebraska Junior Golf 2023 Player of the Year award and ultimately just wants to play her hardest this golf season and have fun.

“The thing I’m most looking forward to this season is having a team that supports me and wants me to thrive. The goals I have for myself this season is to just have fun and play my best.” DiPrima said.

The Warriors travel to Beatrice on Tuesday, Aug. 22 to play their next round of golf in the season.