Westside assistant promoted to head softball coach

Cece Gerard

The Westside softball team has a new head coach, but he is no stranger to the girls. Mike Leapley was promoted to head coach, after being the team’s outfield coach. Leapley was given the title as head coach for the Warrior girls on Aug. 7, just a few weeks before the season started. Leapley replaced TJ Eadus, who accepted the head softball coaching job at Briar Cliff University. Eadus was the head coach for the past four seasons.  

“Although the old coach quit, I still think [she] will put have input on our team and Leapley’s decisions,” sophomore Hannah Miller said.  

Leapley has been a salesman and a coach for Prime Time softball for the past ten years. He believes communication is the key to making a team work.

“Speaking to people everyday helps make talking to the girls easier,” Leapley said. 

The girls have enjoyed the new coach’s personality on the diamond.

“He is very funny, nice and he is very welcoming,” sophomore Baylee Heffernan said.

Leapley is also committed to making practices productive.  

“Practices are a lot more fun with him than they were,” junior Amaya Labs said. “Being able to have fun and make memories is what playing a sport is all about.” 

Although Leapley is new to being a head coach, the girls have high expectations for the season with him.

“We’re going to host a district this year,” Miller said.

The expectations may be high because Leapley has already been a leader Leapley also happens to be married to the former coach.

“He is my old coach’s husband,” Heffernan said. “ I think they work well together to not make it awkward for us,” Miller said. 

The team has started the year 4-0 and play at Bennington tonight at 7 p.m.