Westside volleyball coach to make debut

Emma Vondra
The volleyball team hopes to make it back to state for the third year in the row after losing in the championship game last year.

Andrew Wehrli is ready for his first year as Westside’s varsity volleyball coach. He has high hopes for the season and is ready to bring the Warrior volleyball program their first state championship. 

“Our goal is to win a state championship,” Wehrli said. “We will just have to take a little bit of time getting the pieces together.”

Wehrli replaces Korrine Bowers, who coached the Warriors the past five years. Westside is coming off a school record 30-9 season, with a runner-up finish at the state tournament. Wehrli had success at many other schools, which helped boost his coaching career. Wehrli was the head coach at Duchesne Academy from 2015-2021, where he led the Cardinals to the Class B state tournament six times. Last season he was the head coach at Fremont, where the Tigers finished with a 21-10 record.

The roster has some experience with three returning seniors in Tatum Godinez, Eleanor Brislin and Isabella Lamb.  In addition to the returning seniors, the team welcomes Omaha Burke transfer Ashlyn Paymal, who has accepted a scholarship to Creighton University.  Wehrli is confident the outside hitter will give the team a boost at the net. 

“Her ability to get up and be physical right off the net is great for us,” Wehrli said. 

Paymal will certainly play a vital role on this team especially since last year’s team saw six players graduate, including two-time all-state outside hitter Destiny Ndam-Simpson, who is at Creighton University. Despite the lack of experience, Wehrli is confident in his team. 

“I think we have a great mix of players and the chemistry will overcome the experience component,” Wehrli said.

The season kicks off on Thursday, Aug. 17 with an exhibition match at the defending Class B state champion Omaha Skutt Catholic at 6 p.m.