Westside Announces New Head Varsity Swimming and Boys Golf Coaches for 2022-23

Westside66

Andy Rider (left) will take over from retiring coach of 43 years Doug Krecklow while Jered Hellman (right) will take over next season following the retirement of current head coach Brett Froendt.

Below is the full press release from Westside Community Schools on March 30, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 30, 2022

Andy Rider named new Varsity Swim Coach, Jered Hellman named new Varsity Boys Golf Coach at Westside High School

Westside High School has announced two prominent assistant coaches will now be Varsity head coaches for Westside High School. Andy Rider, longtime Westside Varsity Swim Coach, will take over for retiring coach Doug Krecklow, and Jered Hellman, recently named Varsity Girls Golf Coach, will take over the Varsity Boys program for retiring coach Brett Froendt.

Rider, named Metro High School Swimming Coach of the Year, just completed his third year as Assistant Coach of the Westside Swim Team. Prior to Westside, he coached for 14 years at Ralston High School, Swim Omaha and the University of Nebraska-Omaha. He will take over for Coach Doug Krecklow, retiring after a legendary 43 years with Westside, winning 20 state championships.

“I am beyond excited. As a swimmer that grew up in this storied program, I have always looked at it as being the best in Nebraska,” said Rider. “The school, team, and community are second to none. Westside is a special place to me and my family, and I can’t imagine coaching anywhere else. I believe in this program and know that we will continue to succeed, as well as grow towards the future. Coaching swimming is something that I love, and I am so grateful that I get the opportunity to experience that here at Westside. Go Warriors!”

Jered Hellman was named Girls Golf Head Coach in December, building on nearly two decades of coaching experience. worked as the Boys Assistant Golf Coach at Westside for 4 seasons. He will take over the Boys Golf program following the retirement of longtime Head Coach Brett Froendt, who also led the Westside Football program.

“During my playing and coaching time at Westside I have been coached by, or coached alongside many of the legends of our storied programs,” said Hellman. “I have waited a long time for this opportunity, and am truly honored and beyond excited to be given the opportunity to lead both programs! Go Warriors!”

Both Rider and Hellman will transition to their Head Coaching positions to start the 2022/23 school year.