Westside DECA Students Begin Teens Against Drunk Driving Project

Image courtesy of Westside Community Schools' Twitter

Westside DECA seniors recently began a project that educates teens against drunk driving.

Westside’s DECA program recently decided to do a Community Awareness Project on drunk driving. In order to educate the students of Westside, DECA will be bringing in two speakers, Chris Sandy and Eric Krug, to speak about their drunk driving experiences. They will also have a week of awareness with different activities. DECA member senior Karissa Williams is in charge of the event.  

“There have been a lot of recent events in the Omaha community with relation to drinking and driving injuries and even fatalities,” Williams said. “We feel like it’s really important [to educate students about].”

Williams said that she feels a strong connection to those involved in fatal drunk driving situations. 

“We feel a strong connection to these situations because we are close in age with [the] people [in them],” Williams said.

Williams said that DECA will be fundraising to help financially support these events. 

“[People can help by] donating to our GoFundMe,” Williams said. “[They can] spread the word, share our posters and come to the event on January 22 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium at Westside High School.”

Williams said the money raised will go towards several important aspects of the project. 

“$4,000 is going to bring the speakers [to Westside] and pay for their travel and lodging,” Williams said. “All the extra money is going to be donated to the ‘Teens Against Drunk Driving’ organization and items we are going to be making for the week the speakers come.”

Marketing instructor Kalen Carlson is also assisting with the project and said there are many ways to donate to it and support the cause. 

“We have a GoFundMe page set up which would be awesome if people want to donate,” Carlson said. “We are also going to be selling T-shirts for the Prep basketball game. We are hoping people come on the 22nd with the speakers because it will be really good and it’s free to get in.”