Pep Bus Organized for Upcoming Playoff Game

Erin Pinhero

Red Shield cheers on the football team at Gretna during the 2019 football season.

Westside High School’s varsity football team will travel to Lincoln Southeast High School, this Friday, Nov. 8, to play to further advance in this year’s state playoffs. Westside is providing a means of transportation called the ‘pep bus’  that will drive students from the high school to the game.

“[Our school] wants to possibly provide the ability for students to go to the playoff game at Seacrest Field at Lincoln Southeast that [wouldn’t otherwise] have transportation there,” said Westside High School Principal Jay Opperman. “We want to get students to the game in order to support our team.”

According to Opperman, the pep bus was used once a couple years ago to travel to a state playoff game in Kearney, Nebraska.

“The distance of the game is what [makes us consider using the pep bus],” Opperman said.

Administrative assistant Ashley James has the sign up sheet for the bus at her desk in the main office. 

“[Any student is allowed to go] if they are in good standing to attend extracurricular activities,” James said. “Mr. Opperman and Mr. Kerkman decided it would be a great idea to take [the bus this friday].”