Students Prepare For Upcoming Cabaret Concert

Lili Fogland

Director Doran Johnson instructs Freshman Choir during their performance of Believer by Imagine Dragons and One Foot by Walk The Moon.

Cabaret is an annual music event at Westside High School that features performances from all choirs, show choirs and selected soloists. The theme for Cabaret this year is ‘Music of the 90’s’ and will take place on Sunday Nov. 3 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sophomore Leah Keator said she is hopeful about how concert choir will perform.

“[I think students performing in concert choir] will do pretty well,” Keator said. “Maybe not as good as previous performances [since concert choir is] smaller than [it has] been in the past.”

Keator said she found it difficult to choose a song that was within this year’s theme. 

“I didn’t [try out for a solo because] I couldn’t find a song that I really liked [from the 90s],” Keator said. “I’m more [interested in the] 70s and 80s [so it was hard to find a song to try out with.]”

Keator said that adults and older siblings will appreciate the style of music that has been selected.

“None of us lived through the 90s,” Keator said. “But there’s a lot of parents and siblings that will be in the audience that have lived through the 90s, so I think they will appreciate the songs [for this year’s theme].”

Sophomore Aidan Baumann said the choir instructors are preparing them well for Cabaret.

“[Mr. Johnson and Mr. Woodin] are very good at making sure that [students] are up to speed and know what to do,” Baumann said. “They try to prepare [all of the students] as much as possible, and they do that very well.”

Baumann said there are aspects about Cabaret that excite him, as well as make him nervous.

“[Everything about Cabaret] is exciting; it’s just a fun time,” Baumann said. “But what’s nerve-racking is not performing with all of my friends [since I made ATSC this year]. It’s kind of scary because I don’t have all of them up there to support me [unlike last year].”

Baumann said that they encourage everyone to attend Cabaret as it is an enjoyable experience for all.

“[People should come because] it’s a good atmosphere for everyone,” Baumann said. “A lot of the parents who aren’t show choir parents get to see what all the other [students involved in Westside’s arts] are up to.”

Cabaret tickets can be purchased here or at the door 30 minutes before each show. Ticket prices are $8 for Westside High School Students and $12 for adults.