Underclassmen Step Up as Warriors Down Bulldogs

Sophomore Madilyn Siebler and senior Izzy Nahayo await the ball earlier this season.

Yamilett Ramirez

Thursday September 19th, Westside varsity volleyball hosted Omaha Burke. Westside took the first set with 25-19, the second with a close score of 25-23,and the tfinal set with 25-15. At the beginning of the second set, the Warriors trailed 7-0. Head Coach Korrine Bowers said she is proud of her team for not giving up and taking the second set, something shes says wouldn’t have happened last year. 

“Compared to last year that wouldn’t have happened. We would have just gotten on our knees and said forget about it let’s go to game three,” Bowers said. “I think this right here is a turning point in our season. They know that they can do it now. The rotations that we’re working on right now I’m really loving.”

Coach Bowers doesn’t only notice her team’s new drive. She sees her freshman starting to get used to their spot on varsity.

“Some of these freshmen are starting to feel really comfortable out there starting to finally not think or play like freshman. This right here is something we can really use to push ourselves through some of these matches up and coming,” Bowers said.

Sophomore Madilyn Siebler also sees her freshman teammates’ improvement.

“Obviously, with any freshman, it’s a little rough in the beginning. Being in a new environment [with a ] student section, fans, gym, everything. They’re definitely finding their spot and doing really well. They’re all finding their ways to help the team be successful,” Siebler said.

Siebler feels that she is also improving as a leader and a teammate.

“I think I sometimes have trouble if i’m not necessarily playing my best and tend to go down as a leader where really it’s not an individual sport, its a team sport. It doesn’t matter how good I’m doing. If the team’s succeeding then I’m succeeding. It was definitely not all me,” Siebler said. “It was the team. They bring so much energy and we all just bring each other up and I think that’s a great part of the game,” Siebler said.

Coach Bowers expressed her appreciation for Red Shield, explaining that even they contributed to their win.

“The Red Shield, they’re amazing, I feel like our backing this year is because of them. They really just rally behind us and get the crowd going. It’s so great for our girls to be out on the court to have their classmates, first knowing they’re playing for their school and second those kids are really into the game,” Bowers said. “Because you could have kids there not cheering. But they’re putting forth, they’re actually passionate. Being at home thats’ a huge advantage to us because of the Red Shield.”

On Tuesday, September 24th, at 7:00p.m. varsity volleyball will travel to Omaha Bryan.