German club offers multiple events throughout the school year

German teacher Amber Hollenbeck has been hosting monthly meetings and events for German club years. The German club doors are open to everyone whether they are learning the German language or not. “German club is a place for people interested in the language but also things beyond (the language),” Hollenbeck says. 

German club celebrates the holidays in various ways. During the Halloween season, students watch the horror classic “Nosferatu” and decorate pumpkins. This German horror film is a favorite tradition of German club students. Members in the past have also decorated cookies during December.

In years prior German club members made Valentines in February. This year a new tradition was introduced. Members who wanted to participate were asked to bring in one dollar to cover charges before they taste tested seven different German chocolates. The new activity was well received by members of the club and a new way to celebrate Valentine’s day.

“We try to find things that are culturally relevant to do in German club, things that we might not have the time or resources to do in class,” Hollenbeck explained. This makes festive activities less costly and more special. “It’s harder to do it for a big group than it is for a smaller club setting.”

Freshman Hunter Veylupek, a German 2 student and avid German club member, says German club is a positive environment. “It’s nice, everyone is friendly and overall super kind. They know German, they like German. It’s fun.” 

While attending German club does not have a direct effect on students’ academic success or understanding, students are exposed to valuable knowledge about middle europe geography as well as German culture and tradition. The community aspect of the German club is also very important to its members. Students build friendships with people who share similar interests and a passion for German culture and language.