Downtown restaurant Memoir eats and feeds

Sammy Marvin
Yellowtail Sashimi dish at new downtown restaurant Memoir was the highlight of my meal.

Memoir, a recently opened restaurant in downtown Omaha, has created a buzz amongst foodies and families across the city. The diverse menu features everything from pasta to sushi to sandwiches, and the ambience beckons people inside with its warm, yet sophisticated look. My experience at the restaurant was nothing short of excellent, and I hope people continue to try this new spot out. 

A huge part of the dining experience for me is the ambience of a restaurant. I like when places are elevated, yet not cold and stuffy, which is exactly what I think Memoir feels like. When I walked in, my initial impression of the restaurant was very exciting.The dark green tiles, gold accents, bright windows, and leafy plants all added to the welcoming feel. It also made the experience of eating more special because I felt like it was a treat to be able to be there on a weekday and have such a nice meal. 

That being said, you would think a restaurant of this decor and vibe would hike the prices of the meals, but I would argue that everything was extremely reasonable for what you were getting. For a party of two, we spent $140 not including the tip. We got two starters, a salad, a sushi roll, two entrees, and a dessert. I was also happy to pay a good amount because the service was exceptional. People were holding doors for us, recommending menu items, and being very attentive. Given all of those aspects, I would definitely recommend coming here for special occasions, dates, or if you really want to treat yourself.

Now to touch on my favorite part of the experience: the food. For starters, we got the yellowtail sashimi and pork potstickers. If I could pick one dish from that meal that was my favorite, it would be the yellowtail. My jaw dropped when the plate came to the table because of the beautiful presentation, and when I took my first bite it was even better. The hint of spice from the serrano paired really well with the sweetness of the orange. The fish itself was also very fresh and the perfect temperature. The potstickers were almost as equally enjoyable because of the rich pork filling and crispy outside. Overall, this was a great way to start the meal and made me so excited for the next course. 

For the next part of our meal, I decided to try the caesar salad because it’s usually one of my go-to’s at a restaurant. The best part about the salad was that instead of your typical croutons, they used thinly sliced, crispy potatoes. This spin made it different from other salads I’ve had, which I really appreciated. I would also say that the chef added the perfect amount of dressing, which I believe is hard to come by at most places. 

Surprisingly, my least favorite part of my meal was the entree I ordered. I ordered the Rigatoni Alla Vodka because that’s my absolute favorite pasta dish- if not favorite food. I would like to clarify that the dish was very well done, and I did still enjoy it very much. The sauce was creamy and very lemony, which isn’t what I’m used to. I think that’s probably why I enjoyed the dish a little less because I’m used to very cheesy, rich sauces. I also definitely held this dish at a higher expectation than others because I love vodka sauce so much. In the end, I still loved the dish, but would rank it a little lower in my experience that day. Additionally, I tried a bite of Prime Flat Iron, which was a dish of sliced steak laying on a bed of fried rice. This dish was exceptionally done because it brought a lot of delicious flavors that melded together perfectly. I especially liked the bits of asparagus in the rice because it added the perfect crunch. 

To finish the meal, we knew we needed to order the chocolate torte even though we were full. I’m glad we decided to do so because it was almost the most memorable part of the whole meal. The velvety chocolate mousse cake melted in our mouths and complemented the creme fraiche ice cream on the side. My personal favorite aspect of the dessert was the hazelnut crunch because it was both salty and sweet. It added the perfect bow to tie the whole dish together. 

Overall, I would definitely recommend going to Memoir and becoming a regular there. I wouldn’t have changed anything about my experience and I actually ended up going home and raving about it all night. The great service, fun ambience, and delicious food contributed to the best time. Everyone should make it their priority to go there the next time they need somewhere to celebrate, or even if they’re just curious.