Wrestling teams prepare for state

Joey Gerard

Westside is ready to leave all on the mat for the final tournament of the season. There were three boys and seven girls that qualified for State. One of qualifiers being senior Regan Rosseter who is going for her fourth state title. She explained her mentality going into state.

“To just take one match at a time and just be mentally ready for anything that I can’t control,” Rosseter said. “Also making sure I have good nutrition during the 3 days of state.” 

Rosseter has been a state champion the last three years, and was led by girls wrestling head coach Bob Mulligan. He explained what he is expecting from the team going into the tournament. 

“As a coach I am expecting us to go out and do what we’ve done all year which is to compete as hard as we can and just let the success follow,” Mulligan said. 

Another qualifier was sophomore Chase Myers. This will be his second year going to state as he qualified last year. He shared what his mental state is like going into the tournament.

“My mental state going into the state tournament is just to keep a good mindset,” Myers said. “To grind this whole week and just focus on one match at a time.”

Rosseter is the only senior girl. Because this will be her last high school tournament she shared her favorite memories throughout her high school career. 

“Just all of the support we get from all of the administrators, teachers, other coaches, and even the administrators from the abc building,” Rosseter said. “Also winning state, I loved all four years, I see them as family we have all gotten close with each other. I just want to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported me and I’m going to miss this culture.”

Myers still has two years ahead of him but he shares his goal that he has for this tournament.

“My goal for the state tournament is to go out and get a medal and wrestle hard as ever,” Myers said. 

This is the biggest and hardest tournament of the season. Mulligan explained how the girls have prepared for it. 

We are just looking at it as just another tournament,” Mulligan said. “We’ve prepared all year for this week and it’s just business as usual.”