Seven wrestlers recognized at senior night

CeCe Gerard
Senior wrestlers on senior night

On Thursday it was the last home tournament for the wrestlers that are graduating this year. Every senior that wrestled won their match. One of seven seniors there was Broc Regner; he shared what he was feeling as it was his last tournament at home.

“I felt pretty good knowing that guys like Amir, Ayden, and I have put in all this work,” Regner said. “It was great seeing those guys win, it’s also amazing seeing how much we grew up through the four years of high school. 

Head coach Michael Jernigan was also there and he explained working with the class of 2024, what he hopes to do to finish up the season.

“I want the wrestlers to understand that there is more out there for them to achieve,” Jernigan said. “This is the time of the season when we have to be at our best mentally and physically, the only thing that can matter from this point is the next match, the more they are distracted the more stress they add to themselves that is not beneficial when you are trying to qualify for the hardest tournament of the year, no matter what the end result is, go out and compete the best that you can and walk off the mat with your head held high.”

Regner shared some of his favorite memories from wrestling throughout high school.

“My favorite memories are from freshman year with coach Bob and Schroeder coaching us,” Regner said. “We weren’t very good but we knew how to have a good time.”

Jernigan was there throughout the whole tournament and explained how he thought the seniors performed.

“Senior night 2023-2024 was one of the funnest nights this program has had in a long time,” Jernigan said. “The atmosphere, videos and matches were fun to be a part of, honoring the seven seniors the way that we did is what they deserved, they are a tremendous group of young men and will be great no matter what they do in life.”

The girls wrestling team has one senior who was recognized at senior night, Regan Rosseter.  Rosseter has been wrestling for 13 years and her high school is coming to a close. Rosseter will continue to wrestle at Chadron State college. 

“I’ve been wrestling since I was five. So like, 13 years, I started wrestling boys,” Rosseter said. 

For Rosseter the decision to commit to Chadron was easy. After a tour things quickly changed once she toured the campus up in Northwest Nebraska. 

“It felt like home, a small town,” Rosseter said. “The coaches have been there since June and they like to have a relationship with all the wrestlers so I thought that was pretty cool.”

With the addition of girls wrestling while in high school Rosseter enjoyed having a lot of backing from administration. 

“The support system we have from like all the coaches and even administration like Dr. Lucas and Dr. Hayes both came out tonight,” Rosseter said. “I thought that it was really special that we got support from everybody.”

“Just take one match at a time. I have had the same mindset all season. I’m off social media, just to try to focus on my goals,” Rosseter said. 

As her final high school season begins, Rosseter has her sights set on the state championship.

“We got state runner up last year so we’re gearing up for that state title,” Rosseter said.