Girls wrestling wins metros, 4 gold medals

Ava Waggoner

Four girls won gold medals at wrestling metro’s on Monday, Jan. 15.

Macy Barber

Upsetting the number one wrestler Martha Hinneh is Macy Barber taking home first place. 

“I wrestled the best I have in a minute, but I could’ve done better,” Barber said. 

Barber’s goal with her team is to get the state title, after receiving her big Metro tournament win. 

“Going into Metros I try to stay confident, be relaxed, and wrestle a little less scared,” Barber said. 

Preparing for tournaments Barber puts on headphones and does meditations while reflecting on her coach’s advice to wrestle with confidence.

“I may start my match nervous, but I take it one step at a time and leave the mat accomplished,” Barber said.

Zoey Barber

Seasoned wrestler Zoey Barber with 13 years of experience took home first place by pinning not one, not two, but all four of her opponents. Going into the tournament Barber made sure her mindset was a good mindset. 

“Have fun, that’s the main thing,” Barber said. 

Barber’s pre match routine is taking deep breaths, and walking back and forth while thinking of moves she wants to do during the match. Barber has many coaches which are her motivators, whether it’s her club wrestling coaches or school coaches. 

“All my coaches impact me a lot, and I’m able to ask them any questions,” Barber said. 

Barber wants to finish this wrestling season with an individual state title or team title. 

Regan Rosseter

Dominating the mat at the Metro Tournament her 4th and last year as a warrior, Regan Rosseter took home first place as well as the 130 pound title. Rosseter became number one in the state moving past Kalynn Lyons from Omaha Westview. “

We know we are the best team in the state, and we all did our thing as a team”, Rosseter said. 

An impressive 12 years of wrestling along with many wins shows her determination and skills on the mat. Before matches Rosseter doesn’t look at her brackets or opponents, instead focuses on her pre-match routine to prepare. 

“I have a lot of stuff to work on as a student and athlete”, Rosseter said. 

Rosseter’s last goal as a warrior is a 4th state title.

Mara Vanderpool

Conquering the Metro Tournament and winning first place by also pinning all four opponents is freshman Mara Vanderpool. Vanderpool has been wrestling since three, and always focuses on getting better. Vanderpool had six songs on repeat to help her prepare for each match at Metros. 

“I think I had a pretty good performance, and little room improvement always,” Vanderpool said. 

Vanderpool puts in effort in and out of practice even if it’s small things. 

“My coaches keep my mindset positive before and after my matches, which helps me focus just on my match and not if I lose,” Vanderpool said.

Vanderpool wants to be able to compete with her team at state and do the best they can. 

The following wrestlers also placed: Piper Zatechka (2nd), Ireland Dyer (3rd), Zoa DeJong (5th), Lucy Wing (6th).