Israel-Palestine conflict shouldn’t spread conflict among American education

NYU+student+wrongfully+suspended+for+expressing+her+opinion+of+the+Israel-Palestine+conflict.+
“Wearedissenters” Instagram Account
NYU student wrongfully suspended for expressing her opinion of the Israel-Palestine conflict.

New York University is in deep waters with its student body and the media after a recent suspension of freshman student Hafiza Khalique. The conflict arose when Khalique expressed her pro-Palestine opinions on campus.

Instagram account “wearedissenters” posts information about the war in Gaza and updates viewers on the latest events.

According to “wearedissenters”, Khalique suffered from extensive harassment and threats from a pro-Israel student due to her expression. 

“Hafiza’s face was plastered on right-wing media, she experienced death threats and calls for her deportation, and her work place received a slew of islamophobic messages and calls to fire her,” the source said.

This disruption in Khalique’s life called for support from NYU, to which she received no help from. 

“Instead, administrators suspended and further isolated her,” the source said.

Khalique’s freedom of expression on campus is a constitutionally protected right, which forces me to wonder why NYU felt the need to suspend her. Was it a hastily made decision based on the upset it created in the media? Or was it a genuine belief that her actions were wrong? NYU’s lack of commentary on the matter may leave us with no answers. I do hope in the future we see some kind of response from the university.  

It’s important for me to note that the amount of hate Khalique has received is in no way justified. I believe those who have targeted Khalique for her beliefs should suffer consequences. NYU’s failure to address the harassment that took place makes me lose hope for the situation. It feels almost as if a university known to preach diversity and inclusion is actually discriminating against someone for having different views.

Despite my concern for Khalique and her wrongful suspension, I still have questions about her choice of expression. After reading an article from Washington Square News, I learned that Khalique vandalized pictures of Israeli hostages as a way to express her opinion on the war. 

“[There were] photos and videos of the student taking the posters off the walls, which displayed Israeli hostages taken into the Gaza Strip by the Palestinian militant group Hamas,” the source said.

The choice seemed unnecessary due to the nature of the subject. If I had been in her same situation, I would have instead focused on informing people of Palestine’s situation rather than taking down pictures of the Israeli hostages. Her approach seemed unproductive since it created lots of upset between both viewpoints. Saying this, I still believe that her suspension was uncalled for and that there needed to be different measures taken.

I think it’s important to remember that everyone, no matter the stance they take, is in a place of hurt right now. There’s a balance between voicing one’s opinions, but also being insensitive to others. American people should be able to agree on one thing about this war: that innocent lives, both Israeli and Palestinian, should be spared.