Girls wrestling hits the mat in new season

Emma Vondra
Junior Zoey Barber hopes to continue her success from last season.

Girls wrestling is about to hit the mat Saturday with their first tournament of the season. The girls team only had five girls last season but managed to be state runner-up. All five of the wrestlers placed on the podium. Senior Regan Rosseter who took the gold the last three years explained her goals for her final highschool season.

“My goal this season is getting the fourth state title,” Rosseter said. “Also Being team state champs and going undefeated is my goal, I’m also logging off all social media to focus on my wrestling.

Girls wrestling head coach Bob Mulligan also spoke about the goals for this season.

“Our goals are to compete at a high level all season,” Mulligan said. “We truly believe we are the best team in the state and  we want to show it week in and out.” 

Rossester had just committed to Chadron State to continue her athletic career. She shared what she is looking forward to for this season

“I am looking forward to all of the traveling we get to do this season,” Rosseter said. “I am appreciative that Mr. Kerman is allowing us to travel so much to get different competition. I’m looking forward to taking a larger team to events.”

There are many new talents joining the team with the return of some veterans. Mulligan expressed his focus for this season.

“Our focus is just to take it competition by competition and not get too caught up in the noise,” Mulligan said. “Be wrestling our best by the season’s end and let the cards play out as they may.” 

As Rosseter is a senior she spoke about how she will be leading the team as there are many new people.

“For the girls that decided to stay with the team, I would like to focus on our core values,” Rosseter said.  “Making sure that incoming wrestlers know that the ups and downs of a season are just one part and shouldn’t discourage you from having high goals, including medaling at state as an individual and as a team.”