Tennis Team Hopes to Cut Down On Errors as Season Advances

Claire Bonnett

Sophomore, Clark Rue hits a powerful forehand in the deep corner in his doubles match against Lincoln East. Rue and his partner Alex Kugler (freshman) go on to win their match at home.

The Westside boys tennis team has had an up and down start to the season, their first match being against Lincoln East where the Warriors didn’t finish well having only won 3 of their 15 games. The Warriors then bounced back against Central and had a good showing winning 9 of 10. Sophomore Clark Rue had this to say about their start to the season.

“We’ve done pretty well seeing that we have gone up against some pretty tough opponents,” Rue said. “We played them tough and I hope we can play them again later on in the season, maybe in state.”

The Warriors followed up their match against Central and faced Millard West. The Warriors had another good showing, Sophomore Josh Rosenblatt won his match as the number 2 singles. Clark Rue and Freshman Alex Kugler also won their matches respectively.

“We tend to make some stupid mistakes so we need to cut down on those and be more consistent,” Rue said.

The Warriors’ latest match against a top-ranked Creighton Prep team didn’t go as planned, The only matches the Warriors won were Clark Rue as the number 3 singles and Josh Siegel as the number 5.

When Rue was asked about the team’s upcoming matches he said the team is confident in their skills and hopes they can pick up the pace and be a better team.

The Warriors will hit the courts for a major tournament on Thursday, September 19 for the Millard North Invite.