Students Support Teacher as Rumors Spread

Peter Collins

A parent of a Westside student went unconscious during the varsity football game on Friday, September 6.

Rumors began to spread early on the morning of Thursday, April 11, regarding the job status of social studies teacher and head boys soccer coach John Brian. While administration at Westside has declined to comment on the matter, stating that personnel matters are private, students reacted almost immediately. Later in the day, senior Matt Onken started a petition on Change.org to try to help save Brian’s job. As of 3 p.m. on Friday, the petition has been signed by 1,024 people.

“I started the save John Brian’s job petition,” Onken said. “I did it because he’s a great teacher, very informative and also very entertaining in class.”

In addition, after winning the American Government and Politics mock presidential election, senior Sameer Siddiqui gave a speech in place of his inauguration on Friday. In a text statement, Siddiqui addressed the speech.

“I felt like I had no other option than to say something,” Siddiqui said. “I had such a clear opportunity to get the message out to so many people.”

Brian told Westside Wired late on Friday, April 12, that he has been advised by the school’s administration to not take part in interviews until Monday, April 15.

The Westside School Board will meet on Monday, April 15, at the ABC Building at 6:30 p.m.  The meeting agenda includes a personnel report under new business.