Final thoughts on finals day

With just two days of finals remaining, the end of the year has finally arrived. Students are preparing for sleeping in and enjoying the summer heat.

Here at Wired, we are gearing up to do the same. It’s been an exciting year covering Westside news, but we are very much ready for everything summer has to offer.

With that in mind, I would like to dish out some end of the year thoughts, and throw in some tips for the summer and the 2014-2015 school year, and say thanks to you, the Westside Wired readers.

First of all, I want to talk about this year. This has been an extremely eventful year, and much of that credit goes to the now-graduated class of 2014. This school year, Westside students saw athletic history, with the football, boys basketball, boys soccer and baseball teams all making it to the state championship game in the same school year for the first time ever. Victories over Creighton Prep in all of those sports helped cement this year and the class of 2014 as one of Westside’s greatest athletically, as the girls tennis team and baseball team won state titles.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

On top of sports, who can forget about Jack and Jack (the class of 2014’s Jack Johnson and Jack Gilinsky)? The two became Internet sensations through Vine, and proceeded to release fairly popular music on iTunes. Along with their fame came interest in Westside from fangirls everywhere. Honestly, the whole Vine famous thing is an odd concept, but Jack and Jack references provided some comic relief, plus the two were the subject of conversation when meeting people who don’t go to Westside.

A lot more happened this year, and if you want a full summary buy this year’s Shield. It will help your high school memories last a lifetime.

Now, on to some tips for the next few months.

First and foremost, relax. Take as many days to catch up on sleep and sit at the pool as you need. That’s what summer is all about, right?

Second, find something better than just going to the pool every day. Omaha is full of free or cheap things to do during the summer. Stop No. 1 is Turner Park, in Midtown Crossing.

On Mondays, starting June 2, Turner Park will be offering free outdoor movies. Their lineup for the summer can be found here: http://midtowncrossing.com/news/blockbuster-lineup-announced-for-midtown-crossings-monday-night-at-the-movies/

On Thursdays, Turner Park will have a series of free concerts, starting June 12. The lineup for these concerts can be found here: http://midtowncrossing.com/news/midtown-crossing-unveils-jam-packed-summer-concert-lineup-as-part-of-their-highly-anticipated-thursdays-in-the-park-series/

Next stop is Seymour Smith Park, where Omahans can play frisbee golf for free. I play the other type of golf (with clubs and a ball), but there’s nothing wrong with switching things up for a frisbee. Why not try it?

Finally, take a stroll through Omaha’s downtown area, from the Old Market to the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Also make sure to stop at the Gene Leahy Mall slides.

If none of those things pique your interest, just do one thing: Google things to do in Omaha. You will be surprised by some of the things available in the Metro area, and one of those things just might lead to a great night.

Now, summer will come to an end. Come the start of school, here’s my advice: don’t think the enjoyable times of high school end here. High school isn’t all that bad, and as a soon-to-be senior, I can honestly tell you the time flies by. For the other soon-to-be seniors, congrats on making it this far! Let’s make senior year the best year of high school.

Finally, I want to thank Westside students, faculty and parents for giving us a reason to produce the content on this site and on our Twitter, Instagram and Vine accounts (all @westsidewired). Thanks to you, our Twitter account now has nearly 2,000 followers, and we get over 4,000 unique visitors to our website every month. We hope you love the content we produce, and we can’t wait to get back to covering the news come August.

Have a great summer everyone, and I’ll see you all in August.