TIM TALKS: How to do the perfect school lunch

There was a survey that came out this week asking Westside students what they would like to see in the Café Express. I, being the good student that I am, took the survey. But this survey also got me thinking, what would be the perfect lunch for students at Westside High School?

Here are the ground rules that I will follow when crafting the perfect lunch.

1. The lunch has to be something that could actually be available at Westside.
  2. It has to be the best lunch for the school in general, not only me.
  3. I am still the dictator of this lunch and what I say goes.

I have decided that my perfect lunch would be a group of seven stations; this way I could have something new every day. There would also be two extra stations to increase variability. Each station has a different theme, or type of food that it sells.

Station one would be a burrito bar. I’m going to give credit to the cafeteria because they do this pretty well. But, in my burrito bar, it would have chips and nachos as well as burritos. I also might add tacos or quesadillas as well.

Station two would be Mediterranean food. Mediterranean may be my favorite food, however I’m looking out for those Westsiders who do not like it as much as me by making it second on my list. In this station there would be gyros, falafel and any other food from the Mediterrean.

Station three would be the fast food station. Sometimes all I want for lunch is a hamburger and fries. This would be the station to do that in. This station would also have chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and anything else in that type of category.

Station four would be the breakfast station. Yeah, breakfast for lunch should be a thing at school. French toast sticks are a food that would appear, as would waffles, muffins, bagels and pancakes.

Station five would be the Chinese food station. But, I want variety at this station. I think that there should be different entrees that students can get. Station five would be a great place to have an outside restaurant provide the food. How about Hy-Vee Chinese food? It’s right down the street, not that expensive, and most importantly, good.

Station six would be the Mongolian grill. Look, I know what you’re thinking, that breaks rule number one. It might not be as possible as some of the other options, but it is more possible than me asking for a five star steak. Also let me remind you of rule number three. I am the dictator of this fictional lunch, whatever I say goes, and I want a Mongolian grill.

Station seven would be the dessert station. I can have dessert for lunch if I want. Sometimes all I want is ice cream; this station would allow me to do this. Cookies, brownies and other sweets would be prominent features in this station.

There it is. That is the perfect lunch for Westside students. It’s got a perfect blend of different types of food and everyone should find at least something I like.

So how did I do? Is there something else you would like to see at lunch? Tweet at us @westsidewired and tell us your opinion about the school lunch!