Advice: How to Study for Finals

Alex Ingvoldstad
Finals may leave students feeling overwhelmed: here’s how to study.

As students prepare for their finals in the next few days, many may have found that they “don’t know how to study” for a specific class. However, the majority of students are given little to no guidance as to how to study for finals, and many have never taken a final until this point in their lives. For any struggling student, here’s some advice on how to make it through that once class that you just “don’t know how to study for” from an upperclassman with plenty of finals to take.

For just about any math class, go through all of the notes you’ve taken this year. Screenshot your work on old examples, erase them, try again, and compare your answers. Additionally, locate quizzes from past units and rework the same problems until you feel comfortable with the content from August until now. If you have any specific questions, start with Youtube. Search for exactly the type of problem you want to understand and chances are, you’ll find several videos on that subject. If you still have questions, ask a friend or, even more beneficial, your teacher. 

Many history classes at WHS, like AP U.S. History, require lots and lots of notetaking throughout the year. This makes for a highly specific, and event-oriented final. My advice for a class such as this would be to read through your notes once, or even better, twice, before ticking off that unit. Again, if you come across any events or terms you’re unfamiliar with, look them up, take note of them, and continue your studying. 

If you’re stressed about Honors Biology, as many freshmen are each year, consider finding a Quizlet made by a sophomore, junior or senior, or even make your own. A key factor in acing an Honors Biology exam is memorization. Even tapping into the free trial aspect of Quizlet Plus so that you can use “Learn” mode can be a really great tool to make sure you don’t forget any important vocabulary.

As for a more math-oriented science subject such as physics or chemistry, combine the two aspects of the class: science and math. Make sure you memorize any formulas or equations you need to complete more comprehensive problems. At the same time, know your vocabulary. Make sure you understand the words that you might see while reading a question on the test. Comprehending what the question is asking is just as important as knowing what equation to use. 

Foreign language finals can be tough. While some teachers are using a typical unit test as their final semester exam, some may opt for a comprehensive final. Once again, my piece of advice for Spanish, French, or German students would be: go through your notes. Utilize the World Language IMC. If your instructor is unavailable, find another teacher of the same language (there are at least two for every language at WHS) who’s open. They would more than likely be happy to help you study to receive an excellent score on your exam. 

As the final days of the semester approach and you begin to panic for that class you haven’t studied for, my biggest piece of guidance would be to remember to prioritize your mental health. Without a healthy mind to take your finals, there is no way you can succeed at them. Take breaks, drink water and get plenty of sleep as you prepare to pass with flying colors this semester.