High School Jobs

For many students, entering high school is the last step before entering the “real world.”  To prepare for being on their own, many students take on part-time jobs. High school students having jobs has always been controversial. Some people believe that students should not work in high school. They argue that working is a distraction and they feel they do not have time to work and be a proficient student. To me, that whole argument is ridiculous. Students can work during school and still be able to handle a manageable work load. For many students working is a necessity, their parents realize that students need to learn time management before they start college or their other post-high school plans. It is overwhelming to jump into the college environment. Dealing with new classes, new people, and new schedule. Time management is a struggle in general. Working during the school year allows students a taste of what will be expected of them once they leave high school. Having a job comes with benefits. Not only do you learn time management but how to work with others as well. Students should be able to work with people they do not necessarily like. Outside of high school, teachers and employer are not going to care if you do not like your partner or coworker. When students are not working during high school they often do not understand this concept. They expect to be able to work with their friends and switch partners if a problem arises. Having a job teaches you that you do not need to like everyone, just get along with them. You do not have to become best friends with every coworker you have. Being able to coexist and create a friendly environment will be crucial in any career. With that being said, life is all about balance. Do not overwork yourselves and stress yourselves out. A little bit can go a long way. Balancing is where most students struggle. Either they put too much pressure on themselves in school or take on too many hours at work. Truly successful people know how to balance the combination of the two. Students need to learn to balance their lives. There is plenty of time for school, work, and friends and family.