Basketball team takes down Prep in overtime

CeCe Gerard
Seniors Ashton Metoyer and Kevin Stubblefield celebrate after the 74-70 overtime win against Creighton Prep.

The Westside boys basketball team won their rivalry game against Creighton Prep in an overtime thriller.

Senior Kevin Stubblefield had two clutch three point shots in the fourth quarter and overtime. The first was to send the game into overtime with both teams tied at 59 with less than a minute in regulation, the second came in overtime to give the Warriors a decisive lead against the Junior Jays. Before those clutch three’s however, Stubblefield left the game early in the first period with what seemed to be an ankle injury. Westside’s trainers were able to send the senior back on to the court to complete a game where he scored 24 points in the win.

“Just me being a competitor. Wanting to get back into the game because I knew it would be a tough game. Just finishing it out,” Stubblefield said.

Stubblefield’s game tying three with :07 left was a drawn up play by head coach Jim Simons. senior Caleb Benning had the ball with :15 left before a Warrior timeout. Benning took a screen from Tyson Odvody, who then ran towards the basket, leaving Stubblefield open. 

“Coach drew up a play for us that we haven’t ran in practice. We just believed each other, built screens for each other and got the open shot,” Stubblefield said.

The game started off slow, with westside taking a 7-5 lead in the first period. Westside would extend their lead to 32-18 by half, but the Jays stormed back to take a 59-56 lead before Stubblefield’s game tying three. In the first half, Ricky Loftin led the team, having a 25 point night with 11 rebounds, giving him a double double. Loftin hit 5 three point shots in the first half, including a buzzer beater to end the half. The four Warriors in double figures include Caleb Benning, Kevin Stubblefield, CJ Mitchell, and Ricky Loftin.

“We all trust each other, we go out here ready to play. We just compete as hard as we can,” Stubblefield said.

Westside took an early overtime lead with a drive into the paint by Ricky Loftin, followed by a Kevin Stubblefield block. Caleb Benning drove down the lane to give westside a 4-point lead. Creighton Prep then hit a mid range shot to tie Westside’s lead to two. Followed by a back-to-back drive from Caleb Benning with 1:50 left in the game. Stubblefield hit a decisive three With 1:06 left. Prep resorted to fouling to end the game at 74-70.

“It means a lot. Our sophomore year they beat us at state and it means a lot for us to be able to come out here and win,” Stubblefield said.

The Warriors host Millard South Friday, Feb. 9 at 7:15 p.m. It will be senior night for seven Warriors: Ashton Metoyer, Caleb Benning, CJ Mitchell, John Van Gelder, Ricky Loftin, Maddox Anderson and Kevin Stubblefield.